Chapter 7

Elle POV

"You're free to go!" The doctor nods with a smile and steps out of the room.

"Yes!" We cheer, me being the loudest.

I jump out of the bed and start towards the bathroom to change, but I realize too late that I haven't walked in three days and topple over backward. Jax springs out of his chair and catches me in the nick of time.

"Is it weird that this is not the first time this has happened?" I ask him and he shoots me a lopsided grin.

Jess fake coughs, and I hear her say "Cliche much?"

I roll my eyes at them and steady myself so I can go to the bathroom.

I step out of the bathroom, finally out of those cursed hospital gowns. Jess grabs a green Jell-O to go. Jax picks up my duffel bag that they brought when I was in a coma and we exit the room. Kael walks by and stops when he sees me. I can't help but notice his scrubs and lab coat.

"Elle! Nice to see you up and well!" He smiles at me and nods at Jess. Jess and I both smile at him while Jax lingers behind.

Kael doesn't acknowledge Jax at all.

"You're a doctor?" I question.

"A medical intern actually, but I'm almost there!" He says and shows me his badge that has medical intern in bold letter. Some speaking comes out of his walkie-talkie, and he turns to go.

"Duty calls!" He grins at me and walks down the hallway quickly.

Jax glares at him until Jess yanks him down the hallway and towards the exit. Once we leave the premises of the hospital, I take a deep breath of fresh air after being in the sterile hospital environment for a couple of days. If my calendar on my phone serves me correctly, it's now 4 weeks before Christmas.

I sit in the middle seat of the smaller version of a limo that Jax just called. We drive in comfortable silence for a few minutes.

"You know, it was really hard just to visit you," Jax pipes in suddenly.

"Really? Why?" I ask, my curiosity piqued. 

"Well, first of all, it was family only. Then that Kael guy kept stopping us too." He says and I see Jess nod in agreement.

"Wait, so how'd you get in?"

"I just exchanged a few harsh words," Jax says and laughs lightly. It almost seemed like he was proud of it which flares up my anger.

"If you ask me it seems like you were threatening him," I say in a hostile tone. Jax flinches at my reaction and his eyes widen. Jess pauses from eating to look at us in bewilderment.

"Kael was fine, I promise. I made sure of it when I went to get your sandwich." Jess tries to comfort me but shrinks in fear when I turn my glare at her.

"Oh my god, Jax. Why can't you act like a mature adult for once? Jess managed to handle the situation like an adult, while you had to go start a fight!" I look away from him and out the window again but this time instead of seeing pretty snowflakes I see red.

"Elle-" Jax starts.

"I don't wanna hear it." I unbuckle my seatbelt.

"Jess, we're switching. Move."

For once she doesn't complain, and switches seats with me. I glare out the window until we get back to Jess's and my new hotel. All the while Jess looks awkwardly between us. We leave Jax to go back to his hotel alone, with one last look over my shoulder.