the edge

the ship rocked as we neared the mass of negative waves. since the event, this zone has been barren of both life and ships. eighty planets rendered inhospitable by the order. the order was the governing party of the Proxima Nebula. an irregular galaxy most commonly referred to as the citadel. it's under heavy military influence and has patrol ships on every planet save for those around the negative wave event. only the most notorious and cunning pirates use this galaxy as their hunting grounds. most favor mineral rich galaxies with the main millitia being armed merchant ships. the ship rocked again as we were hit with a wave from the outer edge of the event. I started to turn the shields on when the captain raised his hand. "not yet I want to be closer. the bolster won't last long. if we use it now we won't haven't any chance of surviving" i nodded and backed off, focusing on navigating. though outwardly I was showing worry and nervousness on the inside part of me was curious. I counted the tics till the next wave hit. the second wave hit after thirty tics but this one was eighty. I started over and this time I got to twenty three before the next wave. they didn't occur as a pattern. they were random. the next one was twenty and the next was eight. the path took us on the outer edge of the event but we still had to enter it for a few moments. 

the captain held his hand higher, signaling everyone to get ready. we all stood there in suspense as we waited for the order. "now" I turned the shields on and focused on bolstering their output. a wave of negative energy rocked the ship hard but we managed to get out unscathed. and another hit and this time the shields gave. we were almost out of the edge when another wave hit. without the shied the ship took some heavy damage but after which we made it out. there were system-wide failures and all kinds of errors. emergency life support cut on just in time. "um captain now that where out may I ask where exactly where going" the crew stiffened. everyone wanted to know but no one had the guts to ask.

the captain smiled "uncharted territory. I got word from a source that theirs a plant out here capable of sustaining life but was being cloaked by something. they only managed partial signal but I figured since we have a technomancer even half a signal is more than enough to find this place. just think about it. the reward for finding hospitable planets near the event is huge. more chips then we have seen in our entire lives. now then get us moving" i nodded then realized "uh captain it appears the thrusts were damaged by the last negative wave. were not going anywhere" he scowled and gave me that look of "then do something about it" I sighed "their not just broken everything about them are fried. i can't fix them" he stood up and walked over too me and slammed my head into the control panel "i don't like hearing no from a slave. fix my dame thrusts" i gritted my teeth and looked up at him "if you want me to fix them we need to find a planet with a large deposit of ardodrite. it's the only chance we've got" he glared and lifted his paw away from my head. "just how are we gonna find this planet if we can't go anywhere" i thought for a moment and then shuddered he looked at me "something you'd like to tell me" i gulped. i had an idea but he might not like it and if he didn't i'd be tortured till i died "we-well i might be able to jury rig the engines warp drive for a one shot. it would b-be like slingshoting our selves in a single direction" his eyes narrowed "would it work" i shrugged "honestly i don't know. statically theirs about a 38% chance we and the ship would survive" he sighed "were dead if we don't try. were too close to the event for any of my contacts to try a rescue. do it" i saluted and ran off towards the engines"