Chapter 27: Different Sides

E V A N N A

"You'll be fine without crutches now. Just practice walking with the brace and you'll be able to get rid of it in no time," The doctor said, offering me a warm smile.

"Thank you," I replied, getting off the chair. It was my first time without crutches and I got the hang of walking as soon as I left the hospital.

"I'm glad your leg is feeling better," Rose muttered, going into the car.

"You should've been careful," Dad said for the millionth time.

"Mike, it wasn't her fault. She said she tripped," Rose said.

It was silent the rest of the way home. I slowly walked up to my room, grabbing the stair railway to support me.

I finished my homework and read a book until we were called for dinner. I left my room, slowly walking.

"Move," Jayden growled, shoving me.

We sat down at the dining table, and everyone started eating.

"I'm not hungry," I told them.

Ever since I hurt my ankle, I've become more self conscious.

"You need to eat," Dad said, sighing.

"Yeah, but I lost my appetite. Besides, I ate 2 hours ago," I lied.

"Fine," Dad said.

I got up, and as I walked away, I was on the floor before I knew it.

"Jayden!" Rose shouted.

Jayden stuck his leg out, tripping me. "Sorry. It was an accident."

My stepbrothers hid their grins.

"Jayden, why did you do that?" Dad asked.

My leg hurt even more. Rose rushed to my side and helped me up. "Jayden, come talk to me after dinner."

***

After that day, Jayden was grounded for a week. He was angry, and took that anger out on me.

"Do you want to end up in the hospital again?" Jayden slammed his hand onto the locker, right besides my head.

I flinched. He dragged me to a hallway where there was no one except kids who were ditching class.

"I have to go to class," I said.

"I have to go to class," Blake mimicked, laughing.

"Aw, is the nerd afraid she'll be late for class?" Hudson said.

"Everything's your fault," Jayden growled.

"You were the one that tripped me!" I fired back.

Of course, I made a mistake. He punched me so hard I fell to the floor. "Fucking bitch, say that again."

Owen nudged Jayden. "Class is almost over. We have to go to lunch."

Jayden glared at me one more time before leaving with his group of friends. As soon as he did, I went to the bathroom.