Chapter Four

Josh's POV

As the week came to an end, Michael became more and more distant. He wouldn't hang out with me at lunch, he always claimed he had some meeting to go to, but I could see him with his friends at their table across the field from where I usually sit. I've been texting him but he never texts back, he doesn't answer when I call him and he avoids me outside of the school tour. I need to do something about this.

The final bell goes, and everyone leaves their classes, scattering to various parts of the school or car park like ants. Careful that he doesn't see me, I follow Michael out to his locker, which is near mine, and grab my books out, swinging my bag onto my back and quietly running after him when he closes his locker and walks down the hall. Just before he reaches his car, I tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.

"Michael," I say, my voice shaking a little. "Hey."

"Josh," He replies with a sigh. "Hi."

"Um, have I done something wrong?" I ask, fidgeting with my fingers.

"What? No, of course not, why would you think that?" He asks in response.

"I don't know, you just seem kind of distant lately and you don't reply to my texts and you never answer my calls and you always avoid me and you never hang out with me anymore and I just want to know why because you're just so damn cute and I really wanna be your friend but you don't seem to want to be my friend and —" I'm cut off by something pressing against my lips. Unable to really comprehend what's happening, I just stand there, staring into Michael's closed eyes as I feel his lips on mine. Before I can kiss back, he pulls away, his face the colour of a tomato. He looks down at his feet, suddenly fascinated by his tangled shoelaces.

"Sorry," He says, plainly. "I-I don't know why I did that, you were just rambling on and you were so cute and your eyes oh my gosh don't even get me started on how pretty they are and I just -"

I cut him off by pressing my lips to his, savouring the taste of his chapstick before I bring my hands up to his face and cup his cheeks, not noticing my sleeves rolling up a little. I pull away from the kiss and look at him, our foreheads resting against each other.

"Don't apologise," I say, grinning a little. "I kind of liked it."

"Josh," He says, sternly. "I can't do this, I-I'm sorry."

"What do you mean? I thou —" I begin.

"No, Josh," He cuts me off. "I have a boyfriend, I just, I-I'm sorry."

"Wait," I'm so confused. "Who?"

"You know Stephen?" He raises his eyebrows.

"Beerkens?" I question.

"Yeah," He looks down at his feet. "Look, mate, I'm really sorry I just... I have to go. I'll see you 'round, Raven."

"Oh okay," I sigh. "See you." Since when does he call me 'Raven' and since when does he go around kissing guys when he's got a boyfriend? And Stephen of all people, of course, it had to be someone that hot. I'm just not good enough to be his boyfriend, I should've listened to myself from the start. Honestly, I can't wait for the term to end in a few weeks so I can spend some time with my family at this really nice beach hotel. We booked it when we first moved here, and it's partly to celebrate staying this long in one place, partly to celebrate mum's new job, and partly just to relax for a while. I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't wait to get away from that Michael Bono for a while.

Michael's POV

"Oh okay," I hear him sigh. "See you."

God, it hurts to hear him so upset. And to think that I'm the reason for his sadness? Ugh, I'm such an awful person.