Returns

Mabel stood in the bathroom of Lucy's apartment later that night, eyeing her reflection critically. She didn't look any different, but she wasn't sure what she expected. How, exactly, was one supposed to look after being brought back from the dead?

It doesn't really matter, in the end, Mabel decided finally. She was back, and that was what counted. Now, all she had to do was get in touch with Aleron. Saying his name hadn't worked, and she wasn't fond of the idea of drawing his name in blood, so what other options did she have?

It was only a couple hours later, nestled on Lucy's couch while her two best friends slept on the floor, that Mabel came up with an idea. She crept away as silently as she could, pulling on clothes before slipping out into the night.

In the hazy light of the streetlamps, Mabel called different names. "Zephyrine! Thora!" she wasn't sure whether they would hear, if they would want to see her after she killed Nephele, or if they were even alive themselves.

She didn't have long to worry, however.

Thora popped out of the shadows, face slack with surprise, her scaly tail falling against the pavement with a harsh slap. "Mabel?" the serpent-woman exclaimed, "What? H-how . . . it's so good to see you!" she flew forward, sweeping Mabel into a crushing embrace.

"Hi, Thora," Mabel grunted, untangling herself and managing a weak smile. "It's good to see you, too. Is, uh," she cleared her throat, "Is Zephyrine okay?"

Thora's grin became sad. "Yes, she's alright. A little banged up, but she'll be just fine with time."

Not oblivious to the cloud that hung over them, Mabel pushed back her shoulders, determined to get the words out. "Thora, I am so, so sorry about Nephele. I didn't—" Thora held up a hand, stopping Mabel.

"I know you didn't want to and it's okay, Mabel; Nephele will be reborn in several decades, and it's not even your fault. In fact, I'm sorry. Nephele killed you, and everything's been so bad since then."

"What?" Mabel's brows shot up. "What do you mean? It was over after that, wasn't it? The Door was closed, so the souls didn't leave again, right? If I died for no reason, I will be seriously pissed."

Shaking her head with amusement, Thora released a chuckle that bordered on a sob. "It is really, really good to have you back, Mabel."

Stunned, because even for Thora the amount of emotion was a little excessive, Mabel was silent for a beat. "Um, thanks? Thora, what are you not telling me?"

"Oh, Mabel," Thora plopped down on the concrete, her tail bending to support her, her arms braced against the ground. "It's been so awful!" she closed her eyes and thrust her head towards the sky, as if the mere thought was too traumatic to even say out loud.

"Aleron is an absolute monster! He keeps forcing us to do these stupid tasks just to keep everyone busy, he won't talk to us about anything except for those jobs, and he snaps at everything and everyone. Not to mention, he blames Zephyrine and me for Nephele biting you, and . . ." she blew out an exasperated breath. "It all just sucks, you know?"

Mabel blinked twice. "Wow. Uh. Okay. So, should I even go visit Aleron? I'd hate to bother him if he's in the middle of something . . ." It would suck to put off reuniting with him, but if he was deeply involved in some Hell-related issues that couldn't wait, then she would hate to distract him. 

Her thoughts were brought to a halt by the almost disgusted look Thora sent her.

"Are you kidding me?" the serpent-women shot off the ground, snatching Mabel's hand and pulling her closer. "You are the only thing he wants to see, and I am not going through another round of snarling. Come on."