Chapter 2:

The elevators dinged and I stepped out into the official firm of Mitchell & Associates. A blonde lady stood up from her desk and walked over to me.

"Are you here for the internship interview?" she asked me.

I nodded. "Yes, I am. My name is Lara Days."

She checked on her clipboard and wrote something down. She glanced up at me and smiled.

"Thank you Ms. Days. Please, follow me."

I followed her to a big glass enclosed office. It was in the middle of all the other offices and and desks.

"This is the corporate meeting room. All the interviews will be conducted here. Please be seated and wait your turn. The bathrooms are to your left down this hall and to the right is the snack area."

I nodded towards the lady. "Thank you so much."

She walked away, her heels clicking loudly on the tiled floor. I took a seat next to a girl who had headphones in and was reading from a textbook. A boy across from me was glancing down at a novel he was reading. The hallway was quite spacious, not crammed or cluttered. I reached over to the little desk next to my seat and grabbed the small pile of magazines and articles. After raffling through a magazine, the girl next to me shot up from her seat and ran down the hallway. She left her purse and coat on her chair. The boy across hadn't even noticed the girl leaving.

I got up and walked down the hallway to see her step through the elevators and retreat down. Confused, I walked back just in time for a man to step out.

"Maria Jones," he called. He looked at me and grabbed me by my elbows. He yanked me in and closed the glass door behind us. He directed me to a chair and then sat across from me. We were sitting at a long wooden table with a projector and screen on one end. There was a pile of donuts in the middle of us. The man sipped his coffee and looked at me.

"Ms. Jones, I'm sorry to be physical, but I'm a very busy man and these interviews must be conducted quickly."

He looked old but not young- maybe in his early forties. He had black hair with a few grays. His hair was slicked back in the same manner as Luke's was. He wore a grey business suit. A silver watch was attached to his left wrist.

"Sir, I'm-"

He interrupted me. "As you may or may not know, my firm is well known in the state of California, and ranks second best firm in the whole country. Why do you think you'll be a viable asset here?"

Holy shit, he's the David Mitchell. The face to this entire firm. At first, I was at a lost of words. While it took me maybe six seconds to open my mouth to answer that I wasn't Maria Jones, it felt like an eternity.

"Well I-"

The door behind me opened.

"So sorry I'm late, I had to take care of some things."

I stiffened. I knew that accent. It hasn't been 20 minutes since that I last saw him.

I watched as Luke took a seat next to David Mitchell. Mr. Mitchell looked at Luke. "What have you been doing? Punctuation is key. I'm sorry Ms. Jones, behavior like this is not tolerated here at Mitchell and Associates."

Luke turned to look at me. "Jones? I thought your last name was Days."

Mr. Mitchell looked back and forth between us. "You two know each other?" he asked.

Luke shook his head. "No, we're merely acquainted with each other." His piercing blue eyes smoldered into a dark color as he stared intensely at me.

Blushing, I looked up at David Mitchell. "That's what I was going to tell you. I'm not Maria Jones, I'm Lara Days."

I watched as Mr. Mitchell looked out into the hallway. "Well then, my apologies. Can you please send Ms. Jones in then?"

"She's gone."

David Mitchell glanced down at his paperwork and threw a file in the garbage can next to him.

He looked up and glanced at me. "Well Ms. Days, this has been quite interesting. Since your here, I'll interview you now."

I nodded slowly and snuck a glance towards Luke. He was still staring at me with that intense look. His blue eyes were dark and stormy, and if I looked closely, I was able to see my reflection.

Stop it! Focus on the interview.

"So Ms. Days, back to the question I asked earlier, what makes you a viable asset to my team?"

I gulped and looked into his eyes. I had to show and radiate confidence to boost my Appease Factor.

"Well as I was growing up, I watched my father take on cases that went up to high courts in the country. He was a good lawyer and he taught me everything I need to know."

Mr. Mitchell interrupted me before I could continue. "And who was your father, if I may ask Ms. Days?"

"His name was Howard Cole."

I saw David Mitchell's eyes widen and his mouth open. "Your Howard Cole's daughter?"

I nodded.

He sat back and even Luke was admiring me. Is that good?

The rest of the interview went by smoothly and by the end, I was confident I did a semi-good job.

"Thank you Ms. Days, I'll let you know about the internship in three days time."

I gathered my stuff and began to sit up when I felt warm hands touch my shoulders.

I knew those hands, they radiated the same heat from the elevator.

"I'll see you out," he murmured by my ear. I sucked in a breath and tried so hard to stop the blush making it's way towards my cheeks. I don't know how a few words could put me... at such unease.

He helped me up and guided me towards the exit. His warm hand never left my back. When we reached the elevator he pressed the button for me and waited next to me for the elevator.

"'Well acquainted with the building', huh?"

He smirked and looked down at me. "Yes, I am. And so will you, I know it." He sent me a wink that made my insides molt into jelly. The elevator doors opened and he stepped inside with me.

"You don't have to come with me," I said.

He grinned. "Who said I was coming down for you?" His eyes darkened. "Unless you mean if you want me to go down on you."

I couldn't stop the blush that broke free from my barriers. I should be mortified by the way he was speaking so bluntly about taboo stuff, but in some weird way, I liked it. And I had no idea why.

The next few minutes were passed in silence. The elevator doors opened and I stepped out. He didn't.

"I'll see you real soon, Ms. Days."

The elevator doors closed on his smirking face. I recomposed myself and headed towards the exit.

As I walked by the receptionist, she stopped me.

"Lara Days, I have something for you."

Confused I asked, "For me?"

She nodded. She pulled out a parcel and handed it to me. She turned back to her computer. I slowly turned back around and walked out of the building.

On top of the parcel read: "For Tonight -L"

As I walked into the taxi, I wasn't thinking about Luke, or the parcel in my hand. I was thinking how the receptionist recognized me so easily.

That sly bastard.

***

(A/N):

Sorry it's kind of slow but I'm building up to some stuff so yeah xD