[CHARACTER DESCRIPTION]

Catalina Álvarez always knew she was destined for greatness

Catalina Álvarez always knew she was destined for greatness. She couldn't remember at what point her life had fallen off track, so I suppose we should just start from the very beginning. Twenty-seven years ago, Catalina was the second of three children born to Marcus and Diana Álvarez. Back then, Marcus was already the President of the Mayans motorcycle club meaning she was born into the gang lifestyle. But she swore to be better than her father and those before her. Catalina kept her nose buried in books and out of drugs that were so easy for her to obtain.

She met Ezekiel Reyes when she was fifteen at their local high school. The two had come from very different backgrounds but were very much alike. Academics were very important to both kids and they played sports in hopes of getting scholarships to colleges. They became best friends very quickly. Catalina always tried her best to keep EZ at a distance from her father, making up excuses as to why he couldn't come over when he was there. She didn't want Marcus to see the genius quality in EZ and recruit him into the club.

Now that I think about it, this story really started towards the end of their senior year. Ezekiel had been dating Emily since his junior year and her sophomore year. And of course, Catalina didn't like her very much. At first she thought it was her personality, but these days, she recognized it as jealousy. Emily was jealous of how close she and EZ were and Catalina was jealous of Emily for taking him away from her. They didn't get along when they were together so Ezekiel was always with one or the other. This caused a strain on Emily and EZ's relationship. One night, after a fight occurred between the two, he confided in Catalina for advice. As usual, in every typical love story, one thing led to another and the two slept together.

Soon after, he and Emily made up and things went back to normal. Ezekiel and Catalina graduated, her with the honor of being  Valedictorian. But the happiest time of their lives was cut short after a fatal event. EZ had accidentally shot a cop while chasing after someone and received twenty years in a federal prison. While he would be inside a jail cell, she would soon be inside a dorm room. But before she could get to that dorm room, she would discovered she was pregnant. Catalina would make the two hour drive up to the prison every Saturday to see him but could never find the courage to tell him about the baby.

Unknown to her at this time, Ezekiel would have Emily waiting for him all day before she would leave. He would then begin doing the same thing to her for weeks until he finally showed up the day she was going to tell him about the baby. But things went differently and Catalina didn't end up telling him. This would be the last time she would see Ezekiel. She unpacked her bags and moved back home, taking a gap year to have and raise the baby. Catalina gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Elena. Against her father's wishes, she gave the baby EZ's last name. Elena Reyes.

Catalina attended University of California, Los Angeles in fall of the next year. She worked during all four years and saved up enough money to buy her and Elena a small house. Her father is no longer President of the Mayans. He patched up and is now, "Padrino". Catalina tried to keep her daughter away from the club as much as she could but they were partly family and would die for her and her child. She wasn't going to keep Elena away from her grandparents. She allowed Mr. Reyes and Angel to see the baby only if they didn't mention her to EZ. Elena is currently seven years old and is in the second grade. She attends the elementary school within Catalina and Ezekiel's old high school.