Chapter 7: His Sister's Guardian

Mahoney walked into the interrogation room with two coffees in hand, passing one off to Dani, who took it gratefully. She was going to need at least four more to feel completely human, but this would do for now. "Thanks. And I'm sorry- again."

He shook his head. "I'm starting to think you're a bigger pain in my ass than your brother."

Dani scoffed. "Yeah, my parents said the same thing once I got into high school. Too smart for my own good, but not smart enough to keep myself out of trouble. It amazed them I didn't end up with a juvie record some days."

"I'll bet," he said as he opened up his file. "Let's go over your statement one more time than you and Karen can go. You're sure you didn't see anything unusual outside your apartment or Karen's?"

She shook her head after taking a sip. "Not at my place or her's."

"And the man who blindsided the two officers, you couldn't tell if it was your brother?"

"No, I couldn't. I had my face pressed against the floor, praying Karen and I weren't getting hit by whoever was shooting at us. We were lucky we got down fast enough."

He nodded. "Reed, we're good here."

Dani sighed as the officer left. "This night's been shit for the both of us. First the hospital, now this."

"You promise you won't ditch your protection this time?" Mahoney asked.

"You said Karen and I would be close to each other, right?"

"Yes."

She nodded as she got up. "Then she'll make sure I stay on my best behavior. Thanks again for the coffee."

"If you remember anything, anything you know where to find me."

"Will do, Mahoney. Will do."

As the girls went outside, they found Murdock standing at the corner, waiting. Dani rolled her eyes at the sight of him. He had to be behind those people that were drained of blood being brought to Metro-General. She couldn't expect him to be there to keep an eye on whatever was going on there and with her brother being accused of killing Reyes. But somehow, it felt right to blame him.

Dani stopped Karen for a moment, "I'm going to wait in the car."

"Okay," she nodded.

Dani walked to the police car, one of the cops who would be watching her and Karen opened up the back door for her. She slid into the seat and the officer closed the door on her. It cut off her being able to hear most of the conversation going on between Karen and Murdock, save for a few brief seconds when they would shout at each other.

It was odd seeing how quick the relationship between all three of the people who helped her brother dissolved. These two, with a budding romance between them, was snuffed out in no time because of dealing with the Castles.

Karen came toward the car in a huff and Dani slid down further in her seat to make room for Karen as the cop opened the door for her. The blonde sighed as the cops got in and drove away, Murdock left standing there. "Kare..."

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry," she told her.

What she was sorry for exactly, she would never be sure, but Karen turned her head away from the window long enough, her eyes looking straight ahead as she nodded and replied. "Me too."

_______________

"Room's been checked, it's clear," Officer Reed handed each girl a key card to the room. "You need anything, anything at all, we'll be just outside."