first letter

song - perfect places /lorde

it had been another one of those days, clouds soaked in greyness, the ever so satisfying sounds of leaves crushing under the weigh of hundreds of people walking by... the lyrics of 'this is halloween' playing on repeat and the sweet, sweet smell of cafés. that was jack's ideal fall. a soft sound coming from the bells near the door frame made it crystal clear the boy had entered. his lips slowly parted, almost as if he was about to say something - but immediately shut closed.

- "hello sir, what will it be today?" spoke a sweet girl, awaiting jack's response.

"the usual," replied jack, returning the smile the girl had given him.

- "alrighty! that'll be $3, please!" she hummed, pushing a single strand of her golden hair behind her ear.

"here you go," jack murmured, pulling out the last few dollars from his pocket.

- "thank you! it'll be ready in a minute," she informed, her full lips forming into a grin.

whilst the barista was busy preparing jack's drink, he decided to take a better look of his surroundings. his eyes landed on two girls sitting together, hand in hand, their drink with two straws in, indecating the two had been doing the cliché yet adorable couple things. he couldn't help but smile, acknowledging their cuteness. then, a seemigly younger boy caught his eye. his head almost buried in a book with black coffee beside him. he was cute. really cute. not the 'cute' jack would like.

- "falling for him already, are we?" the barista giggled, eyeing the two.

"i.. it's nothing like that, we're both guys. it'd be weird," jack just laughed nervously, quickly grabbing the coffee.

- "whatever you say, love. just be ready to hear a loud 'i told you so' at your guys' wedding," 'lydia' (as her name tag suggested) resorted, a sly smile only comfirming her growing sasiness.

"good luck with that," jack almost spat, rolling his eyes at lydia.

anxiety and stress took over him when he realized the café was packed with people, as the morning rush just happened. various of sleepy and chipper people sitting and enjoying whatever it is they're all drinking. the only option for him was to sit next to the cute boy he'd been undressing with his eyes.

without any introductions or 'hello's, the two just sat in silence, mostly taking in the smallest features of each other. quite a weird gesture of strangers to do. jack's eyelids were getting heavy, and so he used the palm of his hand for support.

moments before him falling asleep a gentle and subtle tapping on his shoulder made him well aware of the real world. his eyes immediately meeting with the boy's. the boy just pulled out what seemed a letter and handed it to jack, without missing a beat.

'is this some stupid joke?' jack thought. he was yet to find out, as his fingers opened the envelope. his eyes focused on the neatly written letter.

dear stranger,
what's talking good for when you have a pen and an envelope?

-zach

-
-

-

-

a/n: i can't write???