6. Truth Hurts?

Saki lead him to an alley he knew all too well, not even bothering to see if he would follow.

Because she knew he would.

She sat atop an old crate, still in her nightgown, and hung her head in her hands. “Alright, Mifune,” she said, still not meeting his gaze. “Sit. It’s storytime.”

Mifune couldn’t quite tell whether she was trying to make light or not, but nonetheless, he sat.

“I guess I’ll start from the beginning then,” Saki said, finally looking up. When he saw her, he didn’t feel the anger he should’ve. Not an ounce of hatred found its way under his skin, and he just saw her. Those big green eyes he swore were impossible to look at for too long were watery and staring straight at him, and her lip quivered before she spoke. She was the same Saki who left him, but the same one he loved.

“I’d been planning to--to go long before I knew that I was pregnant. Someone, and I don’t know who, was threatening you and Angela. She told me that I had to go, or you would get hurt. That if I didn’t leave, you would die.

“I couldn’t bring myself to just let you go, so I planned out--slowly--what I would do. By the time I was finally ready to leave, I found out. I waited, just to see if the threats would stop. I waited to see if maybe we had a chance.”

Mifune couldn’t take it much more, all of this truth being thrown at him. He wanted to punch something and scream, but also wished to kiss Saki until he no longer could. He doubted that either of these urges would go over well, so he listened patiently.

“I left a month later, bringing Asher with me. He enrolled at some school, and I had the next eight months to figure things out for myself. I didn’t do a very good job though, or so I keep telling myself.

“I remember the day I had her, you know?” she asked, covering her mouth to contain a smile, or what Mifune assumed one. “She had the most amazing eyes. Most babies are born with blue eyes, but hers were already brown. And they were huge. I couldn’t stop staring, because she was so beautiful. I just kept looking until they took her away.”

Saki was crying now, the tears a steady flow. Mifune was holding back a wave of his own, thinking over and processing the truth.

That he had a daughter.

Mifune stood from his crate to kneel beside Saki, who was now a mess of tears and violent tremors. He set a gentle hand on her wrist, and the single touch sent her tumbling into his arms, her body fit perfectly to his.

“I’m sorry,” she sobbed, burying her face into his collarbone. Mifune held onto her tightly, not eager in any way to let her go. Not again. “I am so sorry, Mifune. Please forgive me.”

He told her always.