He's mine... She's mine... Ch. 14

Chapter 14

I woke up from another dream about her. Even in my dreams she was there. It was more proof that she belonged with me.

“Oh Eva, another day that I have to bear the fact that I don’t have you with me.” I rubbed a hand down my face and groaned; as much as I wanted to just go back to sleep and dream, I had to go to school.

I grabbed a random combination of boxers, jeans, and a shirt from my room and headed to the bathroom. My heart was weary and the past month flashed through my mind. A month without Eva. My sweet Evangeline; the girl of my dreams. Ever since that damn night, my days have dragged on and have become monotonous. Nothing mattered, the only thing that did was making sure that she came back to me. And she will.

Being the “golden boy” wasn’t as hard as everyone thinks, you just have to know what to say and act as if everything that does matter to you doesn’t. That’s what I did with Eva, she was the only thing that mattered. But now I don’t have her and it’s all my fault.

So I have to make things right.

After getting dressed and gathering all my football gear together, I head downstairs and try my best to make it to the door without being noticed.

“Hang on right there, Alex? You could at least say good morning to your mother.” Her condescending tone made me want to roll my eyes, but because she is “loving mother” I had to refrain from that reflex. I walked into the kitchen and leaned in the doorway.

Very unenthusiastically, I replied, “morning Mom. Can I go now?”

The scowl on her face made it evident that this wasn’t going to be a quick exchange. She huffed and said, “no you may not go now. Young man, when were you going to tell me that you were dating Jennifer? Imagine how embarrassed I was to find this out while I was shopping and ran into her mother?”

Damn it, I thought. She wasn’t supposed to know about that. Jennifer wasn’t my girlfriend, hell no. She was just there to keep me occupied. Even though that made me an asshole, she agreed to it and promised that she wouldn’t go around and saying exactly what my mother is saying. I’m going to have to talk to her when I get to school.

But to keep my mom out of my hair, I said, “uh yea, didn’t I tell you? But anyway it’s nothing serous we’re just seeing how things will work out.”

My mom frowned in confusion, “nothing serious? And why now? She’s a cheerleader, pretty, smart, and her mom and I have been friends for years, what’s not to like? You should make it official, there’s no reason for you not to.”

I wanted to say that there was a good reason. The only reason that mattered: Eva. But I know she wouldn’t approve. Just thinking about her made me want to tell her then and now. But I couldn’t because she would never approve. 

So I just said, “yea well, we’ll see how everything turns out. But I have to go to school or I’ll be late. Bye mom!”

And with that last exchange, I high-tailed my ass out of there. The last thing I wanted to deal with was my mother giving me grief about how Eva and her family wasn’t a good look for us. 

I tried to dismiss all these depressing thoughts as I climbed into my Jeep and made my way to school. 

This town was way too small and much too snobby for me. I always planned that until the moment that I left for college I would keep up the appearance of the All-American boy. I was convinced that it would keep me out of trouble. I hate conflict and I did not want to be badgered by everyone about what I did with my life. 

And now here I am. Alone.

Alone, I climbed out of my car and locked it. I felt their gazes on me, I always do. I can’t escape their looks, especially the questioning ones that have made my life hell.