Rain

The smell of rain and the cool damp air of our parched land was welcomed by all. Children running out from under colored umbrellas to catch the drops on their outstretched tongues while they squinted their eyes against the driving rain. Mist was not seen. His fast beating wings worried into the downpour, slicing the droplets into smaller counterparts with ease. This was his time when he could be out and celebrate the rain with the rest of the children.

IN human years, Mist would be about 16, but because of the time difference between species, he was 43 years old. Having to hide and only fly in the rain was taxing, not only was he not able to fly in the sun, it rarely rained in the desert he called home. His wings were not built for dry hot climates and would crack and snap if they dried out consequently he had to live by the river.

But when it rained, Mist was the only flyer in the sky and would go as far as he dared, which was mostly to the public areas that were within a mile of the river. This as one of the parks he would always come to, there were the most kids there.

"I wish I could play like this all the tin, or be able to do the things humans do and not worry about snapping my wings." He sighed to himself. Mist was a fairy, and wish fairy to be precise. He could grant a wish to whomever he pleased, but he could never wish for himself.

"Hey, Mommy, Mommy Can we go to the moveies when it stops raining?" Mist looked down at the child who was wearing warn down baggy jeans that looked two sizes too big, a soaked sweatshirt with a team logo in the front along with a pair of beaten up Asiks.

"Sorry honey, you know we are tight on money, we can't afford to go to the movies right now." The child looked so sad, but they seemed to understand and nodded.

"I know, I just wish we could do thinkgs for fun, and have our own house with a pool! And money too, so you wouldn't have to work so hard." The women sighed.

"I would like that, I would like that very much." Mist found himself secreting scales from his wings. They were immediately soaked up by the rain as they plummeted towards the cild. He had opened his mouth again and the drops that had absorbed his fairy dust landed harmlessly into their mouth. Almost emidetly the women got a call. Both Mist and the child watched as the woman's face went from confused to recognition to pure shock. "Are you serious? . . . Oh my God. . . Yes! Yes, yes I do. . . Why? . . ." Her hand shot up to her face, as she looked over to her child. 

"Jammy come here baby." The child now known as Jammy complied as they shuffled up next to the woman. 

"Yes mommy?" the women didn't answer right away as she wrapped her arm protectively around them.

"Yes. . . Thank you, sir! . . .We will see you at 12 tomorrow, thank you so much!" She hung up the phone and wrapped her other arm around her soaking child. "Jammy. . .We might just be able to go to the movies this weekend." the child started at their mom expectantly and confused. "My brother's best friend has offered us his house that he is selling."

"Can we afford it?" the women smiled.

"He's giving it to us, with some money as well." The child was now sharing in the excitement.

"Does it have a pool?" the mother nodded and the two then ran off through the rain jumping and laughing as they enjoyed their blissful lives. Mist smiled, he was happy he could help, though he had a feeling that the women would gain more than a house for her and her child, much more. The rain had begun to subside and Mist flew away, back to his home where he would wait for the next rain.

________________________________________

I am working on Mist's design, I will update this once he is inked.