21 - Endings and Beginnings

Tucked underneath one of the now bent-up cots, a boy trembled under the roars of battle.

Hound realized that, in the midst of the fight, everybody had hardly taken notice of him. He lacked the words to speak to him, despite Max's command to do so.

The boy barely looked at him upon Hound getting his attention. The glance he reluctantly gave him was unnerving, to say the least. He was clearly in shock, but there was something more. Anger? Fear? It was a toss up.

What could he say to him? "Cheer up?"

Hound felt more useless than ever now. If Lycan weren't...whatever she was right now, he wondered what she would think of him.

He was a coward, plain and simple.

He tried to put his hand on the boy's shoulder. His claws were out, so he had to be extra careful not to hurt him. By now, he guessed that they came out whenever he was threatened, nervous, or scared. He was that a little more than he liked to admit.

A piercing glare met him for the gesture. The boy grit his teeth, but nothing else happened.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Hound mumbled to him. There was nothing else.

The boy shuddered, and started shaking. Something told Hound that this wasn't normal grief.

This was confirmed when the boy fell on the floor, on all fours. He was sobbing violently as some kind of aura crackled around him.

Taking his hand off, Hound considered running from whatever this was, but he rejected that idea upon realizing he would be running into the fight behind them.

He couldn't think of any other options, so he turtled like a child.

At this point, he wanted to melt into the floor.

The horrid screech wasn't only unnaturally loud, it was super powered. The resulting shockwave blew Hound to the other side of the room. Anything or anyone standing was blasted away along with it.

Hound could hear ringing, but he passed out before he could process anything else.

***

Hound's head roared in protest even as the light of consciousness blazed anew.

He heard noises. They clarified into pleas for him to wake up. The two people that came into focus were Max and Alan.

He groaned and managed to sit up. Blood both dry and fresh caked his fur. He felt like garbage. Appropriate.

"Dude, you're alive!"

Really looking at them, he realized that they were no better off physically than he was.

Max lifted him to his feet. He saw Andy and Mitchell, both with relieved looks on their faces. There was something off about the way they stared at him, though. He might have shuddered, but his nerves were just about gone.

He looked behind them to see an unconscious, but normal, Lycan.

He looked for the boy, but realized that he had glossed over the fact that he was clutched in Mitchell's arms.

Given time to think over what had just happened, he felt a tidal wave of shame overcome him.

All of this, and he froze. He had effectively stared down his worst fear (who at the same time happened to be his best friend) and he blinked first.

He looked at his claws again, now gritting his teeth in frustration. He balled them up, letting them bite into his palms.

Despite everything that had happened, he was still a coward!