Ch:03__DECEPTION

When he arrived at aunty's house, a surprise awaited him there in the form of Shiza and her husband Shiraz. It seemed like except for Aunty and Shiraz, no one was pleased due to the sudden turn of events.

"You didn't tell me about the other people joining us?" Ahmar complained slowly in aunty's ear and she smiled slyly.

"I knew that if I told you, you'd have never come." She replied, making his blood boil but he kept his composure.

"I've heard a lot about you from my mother-in-law and my wife in these 3 years," Shiraz said to him when Ahmar shook his hand. He managed to only give him a forced smile.

"Okay! I did not know that I am so famous in Pakistan that every child here knows me." Ahmar quipped and Shiza glared at him while Shiraz chuckled at his words.

"You have a very good sense of humor, I must say!" That made Ahmar laugh.

"Unfortunately, this is the only talent I have ..." Ahmar mocked. He was angry at Aunty for not informing him about the other two guests. So, he kept passing bitter comments on everything during the whole time.

He ate quietly at the dinner table and did not express his opinion on anything, but when the servants served the cake after the meal, he could not help but ask. "Why arrange this cake, Auntie?"

Shiraz spoke before anyone said anything. "Dear brother-in-law! Today is our wedding anniversary." And at this news, Ahmar glared at Aunty again, but this time it was more deadly than the last time, Aunty's smile faded away.

"I'm sorry! But since I didn't attend the wedding, don't expect any greetings, gifts, etc from me at all." Shiraz's face turned serious at this bitter explanation of Ahmar, while Shiza paled. Auntie squirmed in her seat.

"Don't be so bitter, Ahmar." After a moment Auntie got the courage to lightly scold him and Ahmar, who was staring at Shiza turned his attention back towards her.

"Man is not bitter but is made. And you know very well who gave me this bitterness!" And Shiza stopped herself from saying something.

Ahmar looked at her. "We were good friends, but now we are not and never will be. Congratulations to you and Shiraz, but I can't bury my corpse the second time. Goodbye and thank you very much Aunty for calling me by deception and feeding me!" After saying this, Ahmar left the place while hiding the tears in his eyes.

Shiza broke the silence in the lounge after Ahmar left. "Mummy, you did no good. You should have told Ahmar about our presence."

"I had no idea he would react like that." Aunt shook her head.

"Shall we continue to mourn like this or cut the cake?" Aunty and Shiza were both terrified when Shiraz asked in an arrogant tone. They forgot his presence for a moment.

"Yeah ... of course ... we're just ... sorry!" Shiza strutted in panic and Aunty sighed. Shiza and Shiraz left soon after cutting the cake. Aunty also did not insist on staying for a long time considering Shiraz's bad mood.

♾...♾...♾

Ahmar had been locked in his apartment for 15 days after reporting to the office. He had 2 more weeks left to stay in Pakistan, after which he had to return to Canada.

He had spoken to Vaneeza a week earlier when he called to congratulate her on her excellent success. Even today, when he woke up in the morning, drinking coffee, he picked up his phone to call Vaneeza. When he picked up his phone, he had twenty-five missed calls and five messages that shocked him. "Who could this be?" He muttered in surprise. When he opened the inbox, he saw Shiza's name there, and the calls were also received from her. "Please pick up my call or call me back."

After reading and deleting the messages, Ahmar threw the mobile on the bed, then came to the lounge and turned on the TV, and sat on the sofa. Since the mobile was on silent, he could not know that Vaneeza's call was coming on his phone in the room.

♾...♾...♾

At half-past one in the afternoon, he turned off the TV and got up again to make coffee and then took a cup and picked up his favorite novel from the shelf and started reading. It was only a matter of time before the doorbell rang. "Of course ... that would be Vaneeza." Thinking this, he opened the door, but when he saw Shiza standing there, he was confused. "You??" That's all he was able to utter.

"Won't you let me in?" Shiza asked and he stepped away from the door letting her enter quietly. Ahmar closed the door but forgot to lock it.

"Sit!" He pointed to the sofa, but she kept standing and staring at him. Her staring was making Ahmar nervous.

"What will you take? Coffee, juice?" He asked, but she just kept quiet. Ahmar looked away from her. "Wouldn't you say something?" he inquired quietly.

"Would you like to hear what I have to say?" Shiza took a deep breath and answered the question.

"To this day, I have never refused to listen to what you have to say, even if I didn't want to," Ahmar said while looking into her eyes.

"Forget about the past and learn to live in the present, Sham!" Shiza whispered.

"In the past three years, I have become 'Ahmar Adeel', not 'Sham'. So it would be better for you to call me 'Ahmar'." Ahmar objected bitterly.

"You will always remain 'Sham' for me. You're 'Ahmar' for others, not me." Shiza responded calmly.

"Do you even know what 'Sham' means?" Ahmar asked.

"I don't know because when I call you by that name, I have only 'you' in my mind and heart." Shiza took a step towards him.

"In the last three years; neither have you been mine, nor have I been that 'Sham'."

"Please, don't mention those days ... it hurts." Tears welled up in Shiza's eyes.

"It wouldn't hurt as much as it hurts me ... whenever I encountered you ... every moment ... but now I want to move on, I want to be normal," Ahmar said in a determined tone and Shiza approached him.

"I apologize ... for every pain, every inconvenience; can you forgive me?" Shiza held his hands in hers, squeezing them gently.

Ahmar looked at her with teary eyes. "No need ... because my heart has never blamed you for any pain and suffering."

"I'm sorry!" Shiza burst into tears and touched his chest. Ahmar's arms involuntarily wrapped around her shaking body.

"You know, I think that I can't stop loving you... somehow!" Ahmar muttered under his breath as he closed his eyes but Shiza smiled after hearing his admission.

"I know ..." Shiza whispered in response.

Shiza was sitting on a wooden bench under the tree, in the garden when Ahmar frightened her from behind, making her jump in surprise. "I'm gonna kill you someday..." She shrieked, Ahmar just laughed at her horrified expressions.

"I'm glad to hear that!" He winked at her and she looked away in frustration.

"You're impossible, Ahmar. Nothing affects you and offends you!" She exasperated.

"Oh come on! You know that's not true... only you can affect me in every way.. Wanna find out?!" He smirked at her, making her blush profusely.

"You're so mean..." She muttered but he eventually heard her and chuckled.

"No, I'm in love... with you!" Ahmar suddenly leaned towards her and pecked one of her flustered cheeks. Then he ran off while she was trying to not die from embarrassment and shyness at the spot!

They didn't know how long they were standing there, relishing in each other's presence and when Ahmar opened his eyes, he saw Vaneeza standing at a distance. He instantly pulled away from Shiza, letting her go while looking at Vaneeza in shock, confusing Shiza for a moment.

♾....♾....♾