Chapter One | World Changing For Dummies

"Was it hard?" I ask.

"Letting go?"

"Not as hard as holding on to something that wasn't real."

-Lisa Schroeder

___________
I am going through and changing some details of this story so if some things don't add up that is why. Thanks xo

***

I leaned up against the pale white window frame in my room and watched as the sun's rays fell upon my skin, giving me a pleasant, fuzzy-feeling that spread all the way to my toes. I welcomingly took in the deafening silence of the house around me as I eyed and slowly fingered at the small crescent moon-shaped gem that laid upon my chest.

As I turned it over in my fingers, I saw that the silver outer layer had gradually received small incisions on its edges from countless years of childish playing and life living events since I first got it; the inner gem was a light green, which was extremely paler compared to my deep emerald-colored eyes that I got from my mother. Daniel, my twin, had a more striking blue-green gem that matched the color of his eyes from the combined similarities of our parents.

Besides that, Daniel and I took up more of our mother's qualities than our father's, except Daniel's obvious inheritance of the common male anatomy.

I'm hilarious, I know.

Looking out of my window, you could see field and cows stretch out endlessly for miles around the small group of insignificant houses around my own.

We lived in a smaller nook of a city in the smaller, less relevant parts of California. We were close to San Francisco but not close enough to want to drive there every day. There was a lot of farmland (if that wasn't obvious), it was always quite humid and also, if you ever breathed in air that didn't smell like cow manure after you've lived here for years; it was like having an out-of-body experience.

Honestly, it was orgasmic.

I sighed, rubbing my hands over my face, trying to string my thoughts together. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad. Daniel though, was ecstatic, he's been going on and on about how beautiful and great this girl of his will be since...well since he has been coherent enough to speak. (And that was the day I died, he could talk for hours) Me on the other hand, I was scared shitless.

"Oh, Harmony," I heard a familiar deep voice sing out obnoxiously down the hallway, stretching out the 'y' in my name that echoed through the peaceful silence of the house.

"I killed her, so please go away," I sang back sarcastically, putting the same distasteful extent on my 'y'.

As I heard him approach, I curled into myself, covering my face with my hands.

This is the best hiding I could muster with the zero amount of effort I wanted to give.

Sue me.

"You can't be killed, that's against the Daniel rule book," my twin said with a hearable smile playing upon his stupid lips as he approached my bedroom door.

"I can do whatever I very well please, thank you very much," I retorted back into my hands, peeking through the cracks to look up at him

"No you can't,"

"Yes I can," I protested again, pursing my lips. Daniel of all people should know not to tell me what to do.

"No-" He paused, flustered. "Please," he said, holding his hands up, looking up to the roof as he pressed his hands together in mock pray, "Please shut up and get dressed, we have forty-eight hours till we leave and I'd like to go out and have a good time." He sighed out dramatically.