Earnest

Ali couldn't comprehend it. One moment, Ali was dead. The next, Ali was free, alive, and the leader of a starving country. 

"More cattle are dying every day," General Irons told Ali, frustration clear on the general's face. "The fields aren't much better. Too much flooding in Shawnee country, too little water in Austin state. I don't think the Confederacy can afford to help much more."

Ali swallowed heavily but nodded. "I understand. We appreciate all you have done."

"Ali," Irons cussed quietly, looking away from the screen.

Looking back up, General Irons of the International Confederate Army stared square into Ali's eyes and said, "Ambassador Ali, the Confederacy is currently unable to offer your country aid."

Ali was struck by the earnestly in Irons' eyes as the political mentor added, "However, Ali, I'm going to do my best to make sure you survive this, understand?"

"Thank you," Ali whispered, gratitude clear in the young leader's voice.

The two chatted a few minutes longer, but worry made it hard to concentrate.

Ali couldn't handle it. The people of Petiske had suffered through so much, survived so much, come so far, and now were going to slowly starve to death. 

Ali had tried. Ali had tried so hard. It had been obvious from the beginning that Petiske couldn't survive on its own. That had been clear. But now, the entire region was dying. There was no trade, no growth, and no water.

Something had to be done.