Halloween II (1981) Discussion

Hello everyone and welcome back to another chapter in my Halloween Series Discussion Page. So for today's discussion page we're going to talk about Halloween II.

More of the Night He Came Home:
Ok so I'm going to come right out and say it but Halloween 2 is nowhere near as good as the original. But, then again a lot of films aren't. Rick Rosenthal took over directing duties for this one after Carpenter stepped down. (Although he decided to stay on as composer and as co-writer). This movies takes place immediately after the first film wraps up. In it we see that Laurie is being taken to the hospital and Loomis is still on the lose in search of Michael. Soon Michael begins picking off people at the hospital and starts chasing Laurie again after we learn the startling truth that Laurie Strode is in fact the younger sister of Michael Myers. An interesting twist that helps to give a better explanation as to why he's stalking her so much. (Although in Halloween 6 we find out there is more to it then that). Anyways, Loomis eventually goes to the hospital after finding out about Laurie being michaels sister. He and Laurie face off against Michael where Loomis and him are seemingly killed off where the movie ends with the song Mr. Sandman.

What Works:
So let's talk about what I think is good with the movie before I talk about some of the negative aspects about it. First off both Donald Pleasance and Jamie Lee Curtis continue to do great jobs in their respective roles as Laurie and Loomis. Jamie's acting has gotten slightly better in this film and Donald Pleasance is always going to give you a good performance. As far as Michael Myers goes he is still as menacing as ever. In fact he is more unstoppable this time around. Racking up way more violent kills this time around.

The first movie didn't have much gore but this one definitely ups the ante. I think the coolest kill in the movie is where Michael stabs this nurse and lifts her up by the knife. I'm not sure how that works. I figured the knife would have slid up her back. But, it gives us an awesome shot.

The other positives include the musical score which I think in some ways is even better than the score from the first movie.

Other than that my only other positive I can give this movie is this scene here.

Ben Tramer's death in this film is unintentionally hilarious.

What Doesn't Work
Even though there are some good things about this movie. There are some bad things to. For one thing new characters are just victims. Nothing. Really stands out all that much about them and they're just meant to be victims. I get that you need to have victims in a Halloween movie but I do wish that some of these new characters were fleshed put some more before getting killed off.

The Hospital Setting is another big problem that I have with this film

The Hospital Setting is another big problem that I have with this film. This must be the most understaffed hospital i have ever seen. Michael Myers sneaking around the hospital the way he does really hurts my suspension of disbelief. Oh sure it worked in the original with him sneaking around the neighborhood. But, that's because of the setting. Michael could easily blend in on Halloween Night. Not to mention he could easily hide behind a bush or a dark alleyway throughout the neighborhoods. With the hospital that should be more fully staffed you would think that more people would be able to spot him sneaking around the way that he does.

Final ThoughtsHalloween 2 gets a mixed to positive response from me

Final Thoughts
Halloween 2 gets a mixed to positive response from me. It's certainly not a terrible movie. But, it isn't all that great either. Some of the kills are good. But, it lacks the suspense and tension of the original. It's serviceable, But was a good way to wrap up the Michael Myers storyline. (Before that obviously changed).

Anyways, what are your thoughts on Halloween 2? Do you like it or dislike it? Let me know in the comments below where we can continue to discuss this further

Anyways, what are your thoughts on Halloween 2? Do you like it or dislike it? Let me know in the comments below where we can continue to discuss this further. Thank you all for reading this and I'll be back again on Friday to talk about Halloween 3 Season of the Witch. Have a Wonderful Day!