Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers Discussion

Hello everyone and welcome back to another Chapter in my Halloween series discussion page. I completely forgot about this book so I decided I wanted to update it again and finish this thing. I think I'm going to try and post at least once a week with this thing. Hopefully you all enjoy it. So let's begin.

Well the time has come to talk about the Halloween movie with the messiest behind the scenes story of them all. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers.

Curse is a fitting title for this one. The development of this movie was a nightmare. After Halloween 5 was released to a less than stellar reception and a lame cliff hanger ending, we had to wait 6 years to find out just what the hell was going on with the next Halloween movie. This movie was plagued by various behind the scenes problems. the script changes, Danielle Harris was replaced, the movie had to undergo major reshoots. (Hence why there exists 2 versions of the movie). Also, during the reshoots Donald Pleasance had passed away (RIP) meaning he couldn't go back and film the reshoots. It was a disaster. An all-around disaster and it shows on screen.

Plot: "Six years after Michael Myers last terrorized Haddonfield, he returns there in pursuit of his niece, Jamie Lloyd, who has escaped with her newborn child, for which Michael and a mysterious cult have sinister plans."

The Tale of Two Cuts: Producer's Cut vs. Theatrical Cut:

[This video does a great job showing all the differences between the cuts of the movies].

Halloween 6 is the Snyder Cut of horror movies. The reason is because like the Justice League scenario the Producer's Cut and theatrical Cut are so tonally different from each other. They were each plagued by creative differences. The studio went back and did major reshoots on the film. But there were some big problems with it. However, much like how Henry Cavill's mustache affected the reshoots for Justice League Donald Pleasance had passed away (RIP) which drastically affected what they could do with the movie. Years after Halloween 6 was released a workprint version of the Producer's cut was discovered which showed up online and at fan conventions. After years of campaigning for the film's release fans finally got their wish as the Producer's cut was released. Now as far as both versions go, I don't really like either version. However, there are some parts that are better in one version I wouldn't consider any version the better version.

The Good:

Ok so let's briefly talk about a couple of the pros involved with this movie. There's really only 3 so let's talk about those. The first pro is that Donald Pleasance is still pretty good. This was sadly the final film role, but It was nice to see him appear in one last movie. I also thought Dr. Wynn (who was a minor character in the first movie) as the man in black was a decent villain. Yeah, the explanation of who the Man in Black is wasn't that special. But Wynn just has that face I just want to punch. So, I guess he did his job as a villain. Lastly, Michael Myers is still cool and that is about it. He's Michael Myers he is almost always awesome. (Except for some moments in the Producer's Cut but we will get to those).

The Bad:

Jamie's Death:
Killing of Jamie Lloyd was a huge mistake. Aside from the issues I have with them recasting Jamie Lloyd

Uncle Dad Michael Myers Was Disgusting.
This part made absolutely no sense and it was just absolutely disgusting. Why have Michael knock up his own niece? It serves no purpose and is just stupid.

Michael As The Pawn Of A Cult:
This completely takes away the mystery of Michael Myers which made him so much scarier. Having everything be just about some evil cult behind it all is really just super dumb and I can't fathom why this was even done. Sometimes it's ok not to explain things and leave things up to the imagination. It is for the best.

Final Thoughts:

Halloween 6 is a bad movie. I really don't like it. Whether it is the theatrical cut or the producer's cut. The movie was a mess. It's what I like to call a Frankenstein movie. The film had to try to come up with answers for everything and the answers we were given weren't really that good. The cult of Thorn was dumb and really takes away from what made Michael Myers scary in the first place. He's at his best when he is an unstoppable force of nature acting on his own will and not as the pawn of some cult.

Anyways, that is all I have to say for today. Thank you to everyone who stuck around and read this. I really appreciate all of you for reading this. What did you all think of Halloween 6 The Curse of Michael Myers? Both the theatrical and the producers cuts. Did you like it or dislike it? Let me know in the comments below and as always thank you all for reading this and I hope that you all have a wonderful day!