Truths

Feyre launched herself over the desk and barreled into the queen.

The chair tipped backwards, and Aelin grabbed for the desk, shock widening her eyes, but she was too late—they hit the ground, wood splintering beneath them.

Within moments, Feyre had pulled the queen's dagger from the sheath at her hip and pinned her down, pressing the blade against her throat.

"Move or shout and I won't hesitate to slit your throat," Feyre snarled. A drop of blood traced its way down Aelin's scarred neck into the mess of blonde hair sprawled around her head. Like a crown.

"They'll have heard the chair," the queen responded, having twisted her features into a provoking smirk moments after they'd hit the ground. "They're coming here now, I'm sure—"

"Well then it's a good thing you locked the door," Feyre interrupted, gripping the blade's worn handle until her knuckles whitened. Her voice dropped nearly to a whisper. "I have lost everything. My family, my court, my home. My mate."

Something flashed in the liar's eyes then, smirk becoming a bit forced.

"I have nothing else to lose. I won't hesitate to kill you."

But before Feyre could ask her questions and demand answers, she found herself scrambling back into the wall, pointing the dagger at... at what the queen was becoming.

Golden hair bleached white, slender body contorted, calloused, scarred hands grew into enormous paws, teeth into fangs. Clothes ripped and pooled on the ground in tatters.

The white leopard snarled, teeth bared in Feyre's face, tail flicking with what Feyre thought must be impatience and aggression. The leopard lashed out, her paw batting the dagger right out of Feyre's hand, and she shot to her feet, not quite knowing how to react.

That same woman was there inside of the leopard, emotion and intelligence shining in her eyes as she growled.

"An interesting new development," Feyre muttered, sighing wearily. She was fae, then. And had magic not unlike Tamlin's.

The female sat, apparently satisfied with her message—that she wasn't planning on being threatened or pushed around by anyone. At her throat, red seeped into her white fur the slightest bit.

Shouts sounded down the hall, and the door handle rattled forcefully. Feyre glanced at the door, then at the leopard, raising her eyebrow. "Shall I open the door? Show all your allies what you really are?" She crossed her arms and leaned against the wall, knowing full well that her threats were empty. Feyre wasn't going to expose the false queen—at least, not until she learned more about the situation.

The female huffed and prowled over to the door, tail flicking behind her.

The shouting grew louder now—it was that brash golden-haired male, yelling as he pounded on the door. "Aelin! Open the door!" The handle rattled again, and the leopard huffed in what Feyre assumed was annoyance.

Then she began to change again, and Feyre could only watch, transfixed, as white fur became unblemished porcelain skin, a shock of black hair growing from her head. Paws became dainty hands, legs lengthened, tail disappeared—until a human woman stood before her, completely naked and reaching for a cloak that hung by the door. At least she was facing away from Feyre, who quickly averted her eyes.

When she looked back, Aelin—though that likely wasn't her name—had covered herself, pulling the cloak tight around her body.

She unlocked the door and cracked it the slightest bit, whispering furious words Feyre was just able to make out. She was sure Aelin knew and was allowing her to listen in, so she moved closer, crossing her arms and once again marking all the exits in the small room. Just in case she would end up needing them.