• Chapter One •

• Hannah •

My heart was thumping hard and fast against my chest just like the beat of the music that could be heard from outside as the taxi driver drove by each dance club. I was going out in the middle the of the night and stepping out of my comfort level.

Like a madwoman, drunk from a heartache, I didn't have an ounce in my heart to care any more. I had a need to drown myself and pretend to be someone I wasn't. Oh how my life had changed its course within a blink of an eye.

After mom passed away, I made a promise growing up that I would be daddy's little girl and would always lived my life quietly and carefully. I stayed out of trouble and was always on the top of the Dean's list at school. I was active in school activities and was praised for my good grades. I lived to be the best daughter in the world.

But then I lost dad and it was my fault. If I didn't try to strive to be the top and wanted to attend the best college in the world, dad wouldn't have needed to work hard to make sure my dreams of succeeding would come true. Dad would still be alive and I wouldn't be forced out of my own home. Like my stepmom screamed at me...

You are nothing but a murderer, a curse.

Indeed, I was a curse that brought death upon those who loved me. Mom. Dad. Nana.

My poor Nana. My heart ached when I thought about her. She was a sweet, gentle woman. She brought me into her home. She was my safe haven.  She gave me all the love she had and I ended up milking her love dry. She was the only person left that I could call as family. Now I truly had nothing to live for. I took away everyone that loved me.

Earlier today after we buried Nana, people who loved and adored her came to the house. As I walked aimlessly throughout the home, I could feel their pitiful eyes on me and after everyone left, I could hear the constant voices that whispered in my head... "You're a murderer. You're a curse..."

Finally I had enough and couldn't stand being alone in that awful big house. I had to get out and be reckless like I should have been from the beginning. Maybe if I was reckless and they had hated me from the start, they would all still be alive and I wouldn't be left alone.

The taxi driver pulled to a stop infront of a dance club. I reached into my purse and pulled out a wad of cash. I handed him what I owed him and muttered, "Keep the change."

I opened the door and stepped out of the taxi. I closed the taxi door and tugged down my short, tight black dress that hugged every inch of my curves. I looked up and noticed the people standing in line gawking at me as if they knew who I was.

"You're a murderer... You're a curse..." the voices whispered in my head.

Suddenly I felt self-conscious of my surrounding. This was out of my element. I should have came with Eunsoo instead of agreeing to meet her here. I took a deep breath and tilted my head down as my long, black, sleek hair cascaded down to cover my face. I softly mumbled to myself, "They aren't looking at you. They don't know you."

I began to make my way to the back of the line and a loud booming voice called out, "Hey beautiful!"

I continued to walk away and the voice continued to call out, "Beautiful lady who just stepped out of the taxi cab!"

I stopped mid-step and slowly turned my head back. The bald headed bouncer with huge muscled arms, who stood in the front, was motioning gestures towards me. I pointed at myself and he nodded his head.