Freshman Year Part Two; Floating

"My mom is probably on the couch, passed out. Just ignore her. We can go to my room." During the walk to Heidi's house and then to Kenny's, there was nothing said between them. The voice came back to her a few times, rattling her. But, each time it spoke, it seemed to fade back to where it came from, it's screams absent of any threat. He waited outside her home patiently as she went up to her room to grab her computer. Heidi had asked if he wanted to come inside, the brisk winds were starting to get bitter. Kenny refused, saying that it would be more comfortable for the both of them if he stayed outside.

When she had reemerged from the confines of her home, she locked the door as she always did. Heidi held her laptop close to her chest; it seemed to be the only thing that was real. Just that morning, she had been grasping at straws. Anything to help her stay afloat. She had since fallen, crashed into the bottom of the ocean, and resurfaced. But, the closer they got to Kenny's home-crossing the obvious invisible line of poverty-Heidi started to feel uneasy again. This is a nice neighborhood. Just think, the more you fall, this could be a real living adjustment for you. Another sinister laugh.

She noted the wrecked chain fence that adorned his front yard, accompanied by an old, run down station wagon. She wondered if it still worked. Does it look like it does? God, why do you ask the most stupidest questions. There was a restlessness in her chest as Kenny lead her to his front door, unlocked. Just as he had said, his mother was on the couch with an old boxed T.V. being the only life she could see. Walking past her, Heidi looked into the open kitchen-dishes littering the dinner table.

"Come on," Kenny whispered, taking Heidi down the single narrow hallway. She walked closely behind him, unsure of why she had agreed to come here. Her eyes darted back and forth between doors close together. "This is the bathroom," he paused, opening one of the doors. Heidi felt her head nod in acknowledgment. As he closed the door once again, she felt the rough of his coat brush against her sweater. Involuntarily, she pulled away, the close quarters making her nervous. However, though her insides were in chaos, Heidi kept her expression the same; "everything was fine".

"And this," the lanky boy said softly, "Is my room." Before her, the only other door in Kenny's house that mattered opened in front of her. She followed him in the barren room like a puppy dog being introduced to a new home. Once inside and alone, Kenny shut his door. There was a single small bed that hugged the furthest wall, the bedsheets in disarray. Behind her was an open closet. Just like the bed, clothes that were supposed to be folded and put away neatly, found their home thrown about the floor. "You can sit on bed if you want. There should be a plug-in if you need it for your computer. If we have to use the internet, there's a local wi-fi signal. It's weak, but should do the job."

"Okay," Heidi replied. She made her way to his bed, as instructed, trying her best to make herself at home. Beside her, she placed her bookbag neatly. Crossing her legs underneath her seat, Heidi heard the whine of Kenny's bed. Fat ass. From her bookbag, she retrieved a notebook she used for notes in class, a pen to write with, and their English textbook. As Heidi continued to situate herself in Kenny's room, Kenny had begun to dig around in his closet. Though she tried to concentrate on the work at hand, his distracting search made her curious.

"What are you looking for?" She asked, her hands held a sparkly pen just inches above a clean sheet of lined notebook paper.

"Something to help me focus... Did Kevin take it?" Slowly, Kenny stood from the inside of his closet and walked out his room to a closed door, leaving the entrance to his room slightly ajar. Well, get to work. He's depending on you. Or, is he going to be someone else you let down? Heidi felt her face fall, the all too real internal question weighing heavily on her heart. She took a deep breath, making sure to keep her everything is fine face. Quietly, she began to hum to herself; though Kenny spoke low and flat, while he was gone to another place of his residence, she could hear his voice talking to someone. He sounded agitated, angry, and upset. His voice was different from when he was at school, but if Heidi thought hard, she could remember a few times he raised his voice; mostly when Cartman was talking down to her. You know you deserved it, though. Stop, I need to focus, she thought to herself.