Pain

Pain seared across my cheek, and after a moment I gingerly placed my hand on it. "You do not talk back to me!" Vlad yelled.

Before I had time to react, he roughly made me look at him, his hand gripping
my chin.

"Do I need to remind you?" Vlad growled.

"No." I murmured.

Vlad's light blue eyes softened, as did his grip on me. "See dear sister, that was easy, wasn't it?" I merely gave a small nod of agreement.

He let go, and I pushed myself up off the floor, meeting his gaze.

"As for your concern about our father's inheritance, it rightfully goes to me," Vlad said, his eyes held a clear challenge.

But I was the one chosen to take our father's company and the inheritance. "I know," I answered, my voice wavering. "I shouldn't have questioned it."

"I'm glad you've come to your senses, Violet." Vlad gave a small smile of contentment, happy he had gotten his way. Again. His eyes flicked towards the clock on the wall, and a flash of annoyance crossed his features. "We better go to school. Wouldn't want to bring dishonor to our family name."

What family name? We're the only two members of our family left...

I watched as Vlad left, my eyes following him until he walked through the door. A sigh escaped my lips and I slowly slid down to the floor.

I stayed there for a minute or two before I heard my brother call. "Vio!" I knew he knew I was going to follow him seeing as he didn't call again.

————————————————————————

A/N: The first chapter is out! ...And the title is terrible. I honestly didn't know what to call this chapter, but with what happened to Violet at the beginning I decided to go with "Pain" as the chapter's name. So, here we are.
How'd I do? 😅