Chapter 3

When I showed XinLong his next class, I felt slightly dumb.

"So, we share this class too," I told him. He smiled at me and we both entered the classroom.

We quickly found seats in the back of the classroom right as the bell signaled lunch was over.

As students started to trickle into the classroom, I was explaining what we were currently doing in the class. 

"So you're learning about cells?" he asked me. I took notice of how he slightly leaned closer to me. I nodded and felt my face heat up slightly.

He made a look of what appeared to be satisfaction and sat back in his chair. 

As the class went on, I ended up tuning everything out around me, including XinLong. It took me a while to notice that he was calling my name.

"Yeah?" I whispered.

"I don't understand." I looked at the sheet that every student was currently working on.

I started to slowly explain to him what it was about. Once again, he started to lean closer towards me while I explained.

"That's how you do it," I finished. He smiled and started to work on it. I stared at him for a few seconds before snapping out of it and working on my own worksheet.
~~~
We were making our way to the last class of the day when someone bumped into me. I stumbled slightly but didn't fall. I looked to my side and I saw XinLong holding onto my arm.

"T-Thanks," I stuttered.

"No problem," he said, never letting go of my arm.

"We don't have the same last class, so I'll see you after school," I told him. He nodded and walked into the classroom.

When I walked into class, I saw Zihao and Hanyu already in spots. I quickly made my way over to them and they looked up at me.

"So you actually do take a math class above your grade level," Hanyu mumbled, looking at me confused.

"I don't like math but it's the best subject that I test in," I explained and set my stuff down.

As the class went on, I found myself not paying attention, instead, thinking about a boy that I had spent most of my day with.

I felt Zihao lightly hit my arm, not realizing I was starting to doze off. I quickly sat back up and focused once more.

When it became to work on our classwork, Zihao and I were talking quietly.

"Why did you almost fall asleep?" he asked me. 

I debated on telling him everything, but I decided against it. It would be my own secret for now.

"Just thinking." He looked like he didn't believe me, but he didn't push it further.

We continued to talk until class was over.

"You two remember where your homeroom is?" I asked them.

"Yes ma'am," Hanyu said. I waved bye to them and made my way to my own homeroom. 

Seeing as I had none of the boys in my homeroom, that gave me time to think about a certain someone. 

I plugged my earbuds in and went on my phone while letting my mind drift off. 
~
Before I knew it, the bell was ringing, signaling the school day was over with. I quickly grabbed my bag and made my way out of my classroom. 

Like I normally did, I had my music turned up all the way and was paying attention enough to not bump into someone.

While keeping a lookout for the boys, I didn't notice they were all already behind me. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I would be lying if I said that it didn't scare me.

"Woah," I said and put my hand on my chest to calm myself down. They were all laughing at my reaction and Zihao wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"Let me tell you, it was XinLong's idea! He said you looked 'too calm.'" I looked behind me and met XInLong's gaze. He gave me a playful smile. I turned back around with a blush quickly spreading across my face.
~~~
I decided to sit by MingRui on the way home. I personally felt like I didn't know him that well, so that's what I tried to do.

I didn't feel like we were getting along that well until Hanyu brought something up.

"Sarah, do you like soccer?" I thought about it before answering.

"I go to the school's games." MingRui looked at me and there was suddenly this sparkle in his eyes.

"There's a soccer team?" I nodded. He started to ask questions about it the whole way home. I mentally thanked Hanyu for starting a conversation between the two of us.

The two of us were so deep in conversation that we didn't realize we had already made it home. Hanyu snapping his fingers in front of our faces finally got us out of our conversation.

I saw my mom's car parked in the driveway way and that made me really happy.

"Mom usually isn't home by now!" I said and skipped up to the front door, unlocking it with my key.

I opened the door, about to call out to her, to see her on the phone with a worried look.

She looked up and smiled at the seven of us, before putting the call on mute.

"I have a feeling I'll have to go back in. I asked for the day off today, but my boss just called me," she explained. I nodded, trying my best not to look sad.

"I'll try to be home early, ok?" I nodded and watched as she left. I quickly made my way up to my room and shut the door.
~~~
Around an hour later, there was a knock on my door. I told the person to come in. Lifting my head off of my pillow, I saw XinLong standing in the doorway.

"You can sit down," I mumbled, shoving my head back onto my pillow. I felt him sit on the edge of my bed. I sat up and tried to cover my face, seeing as I was just crying a few minutes ago.

"It's probably not good for me to assume, but is your mom home often?" he asked me. I nodded as a way to tell him that he's right. 

We sat in silence for a bit before I spoke up. "I know she works late cause she needs to get money for us somehow. I've told her I could get a job since I'm old enough. She tells me she's got it, then she comes home really late."

I felt myself tear up so I hid my face back in my pillow. I felt him rub my back as I cried on my pillow.

Not many words were exchanged between the both of us, but I know that we had somehow connected over that single moment.

This one took a while cause I procrastinated to finish it. HOWEVER!!!! I finished it. Pretty proud of this one. Feel like we're getting somewhere not too fast and not too slow. Anyways, bye!! Love you all!! <3