Chapter 4: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

"Lauren, what the absolute heck is this?" My eyebrows crinkled at the sight of the streaks of makeup on my face

"This, young grasshopper, is concealer. It's used to hide blemishes and insecurities.

"I know what concealer is.. If only I could apply that stuff all over my entire life. " I mumble

"What'd you say?" Lauren asks

"Nothing. Why did you draw streaks all over my face though? I look like a preschool art project."

"It's called highlighting, Grandma," Vanessa chuckled as she entered into her bedroom with ice cream.

If someone had told me that getting ready for a party took this long, then I would have proclaimed a very sound "Hell no, I'm not showing up!" But since that bit of information had been kept from me, I was stuck in Vanessa's bedroom turned away from her vanity so that Lauren could apply Minnesota's entire supply of cosmetics on my face.

I better not get clogged pores tomorrow

I look at the warm brown foundation in Lauren's hand and then look at her sunkissed skin.

"Who's makeup is this?" I ask

Her skin tone is obviously not cocoa mocha

"Yours silly, I got it for you at Sephora when we went to the mall." Lauren laughs.

" How did you know what shade to get without me being there?"

"I just have that sixth sense" She flashes a mysterious yet dazzling smile.

"I really don't find that hard to believe." I laugh

"And thanks..." I add.

" No problem, I just hope you will use them after today."

"I can't make any promises but I will try Lauren."

"I'm going to go change." Vanessa announces.

"Do I have to go?" I whine "I didn't even buy any clothes to wear to this party."

"It's fine, you can borrow something from Vanessa's neverending closet. Right Ness?" Lauren asks.

"Sure." Vanessa agrees unenthusiastically.

"Perfect, I am done with your makeup besides your lipstick but you can get after you find what you're going wear."

It took a total of one hour and fifteen minutes for my transformation from a fairly decent looking girl to a an almost complete duplicate of Lupita N'yongo with Cara Deleveign's eyebrows. In simpler words, I looked pretty hot. Vanessa's dress clung to my body in a way that was very flattering, almost to the point that I was uneasy. I stepped out if her closet to ask the girls what they thought.

"So guys... How do I look?" I said raising my eyebrows.

"Oh my goodness Kenna! You look amazing!" Lauren squeals.

"Yeah Ken, almost as good as I do in that dress," Vanessa laughs "Kidding! You're everything babe."

"You guys need to stop and look at yourselves." I say turning to face both of them.

Oh my goodness I sound like those girls on Instagram that feel obligated to say those empty compliments because some other insecure girl puts a heart eyes emoji on their picture

But Lauren and Vanessa did look flawless in their party outfits. Lauren was wearing a flowy bohemian-patterned skirt with a white crop top and her signature flower crown. She could have passed off as one of those insanely gorgeous blonde Hollister models. Vanessa looked the complete opposite of Lauren's laid back look. She was clad in an all black ensemble consisting of a crop top and matching skirt set. Her bright red lipstick against her tan skin and pin straight hair pulled the whole look together. She looked like those edgy yet high fashion girls that you would find on tumblr.

Why are these girls even friends with me?

"Thanks, I just put this little thing together last minute." Vanessa says and takes a step towards the mirror to examine herself.

"Shut up Vanessa," Lauren rolls her eyes "everyone knows you planned this outfit at least two weeks ago."

Damn

"Anyways, you're the main attraction today Kenna. Honestly you look so gorgeous and I promise that all eyes will be on you." She continues.

Vanessa says nothing as she tries to process what just happened.

" I won't be crossing my fingers for that" I joke, trying to break the silence that was just created.

"Oh! Don't forget the finishing touch."
Lauren hands me the lipstick. "I read that deep red is the most complementing color for your skin tone," she smiles.

I apply the lipstick tentatively.

I can't do this.

Vanessa observes me before speaking, "Are you backing out? You definitely look like you're about dip on this party."

I scuff. "Psh, I am not a quitter! And this is my determined look," I mumble pointing to my face.

"Oh really? Then put your shoes on. We're already an hour and fourty minutes late to the party so let's go," Vanessa smiles.

"We're late!? What's the point of going if we're late? Gosh guys, way to be punctual! I guess we're not going then? I'll just take a few pictures of myself looking super hot and then we can all get into our pyjamas!" I smile then give them a fake pout "... Geez guys, you're the worst."

"You're not getting out of this dummy. We're justifiably late. It's called being fashionably late." Lauren grabs my arms and leads me out of Vanessa's door.

"Wait! I forgot my bag." I walk back to grab my bag and stop to give myself one last glance.

I examine myself in the mirror, tilting my head left and right. In this moment I feel pretty and scared.

Let's do this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hey Guys!
Sorry for the slow updates but, as we said before, the piles of schoolwork have kept us away from writing. Thank you for the support, it has really been encouraging. Feel free to comment your predictions, ideas, and overall thoughts on the story!