chapter 5

I must have drifted to sleep after Jake left last night- was it? Or had it been morning?

My mind buzzed. I didn't even know the time, day, or date. I didn't know how long I had been asleep, or if my dad even knew where I was right now. He must have since he was the one who said that I should go to spend the summer with my mother after I had gotten a letter from her.

A letter saying that she was sorry and that she needed me back in her life. That she missed me and wanted to see how beautiful and grown up I had become. 

My thoughts were suddenly cut off with a high pitched scream, and many following. People were running down the hallway as fast as they could, trying to frantically get away from something, or someone.

I couldn't see because my room had no window, only a small glass slit in the door which I now stood peering out of. I listened, as low, rumbling shouts took over the screaming, metal clashed against metal, and glass shattered.

Before opening the door to see what was happening, I checked to see that I had clothes on - you never know what your wearing in a hospital bed. Thankfully I had a pair of black jeggings on with a navy blue shirt that dipped a little lower than I preferred in the front.

Leaning on my bad foot, I checked to make sure that it was pain free. To my delight I felt nothing but strength.

I flung the door opened and scanned the busy hallway full of men. Some were in black outfits and others were clothed in a navy blue. The men in black had odd shadows hovering over their faces. Some had steal bars, while others had rusty black chains dangling in their filthy looking hands.

The men wearing blue looked like normal soldiers carrying swords and spears of all sizes. It didn't take me long to realize what material the spears were made of: iron. They all fought with overpowering skill, but the black suited men had the numbers. There had to be at least four of them for every one blue-suited man.

Before I knew what was happening a chain flew into the side of my cheek. It burned and I instinctively raised my hand to where I felt the pain. When I removed my hand it was plastered with dark blood.

I felt a wall run into my chest and was thrown back into the room. My feet lifted off the ground as I flew in mid air waiting for the impact that was to come from landing. A chair snapped under the pressure as I flew through the air and down into it. Once I was certain I was on the ground I looked up while gasping for the air that had just been knocked out of me.

A man wearing dark clothes stood in the door. Slowly, he lowered his left foot down to the ground and I realized he had just kicked me right in the chest. Wearing the most wicked grin, he slowly advanced, coming closer and closer to his target - me.

I frantically looked around for something I could use to save myself. He was now only five steps away from me when an idea finally popped into my head.

I stood and ran to the drawer that I had seen the nurse grab my vaccination out of. Countless needles lie in the drawers. I rummaged through it, finding one long enough to use as a spear. Finally my fingers came across one near the bottom, but it was too late. I felt a metal bar hit the back of my legs, right behind my knees and I collapsed to the ground as I had gripped the needle so it was in my hand, being held by the small amount of strength I had left in my few fingers.

My hands fidgeted trying to take off the plastic cover of the needle as a bar came down right where my head was. I swiftly rolled out of the way at the same time the plastic cover decided to come off.

Without much thought I dug the sharp end through the man's leg. He howled in pain as I stood up and stabbed the sharp end into his chest. I prayed that the sharp end had been made of iron.