Wish

It finally happened while we were having lunch, during a piece of comfortable silence after Aunty Holly complimented me on the improvised Indian dishes I had prepared with John's help.

Ha! Who am I kidding? John was indeed a very good cook and when he suggested helping me, I was delighted. But John's assistance involved spraying me with water while he washed the vegetables, sprinkling my head with flour while I fumbled with a rolling pin and a horribly uneven roti and tickling me whenever I left him idle. Other distractions that were not mentioned to Aunty Holly as complaints were about him kissing me a bit everywhere, hugging me from behind while he hummed sexily in my ear, delving deep into mutual staring and caressing my arms and back. He was still a sarcastic idiot though, but slightly less moody.

Holly, Marie and I decided to leave the table at the same time, leaving John and George all alone. They needed this awkward opportunity because neither had the guts to talk even though they were both glancing furtively at each other, willing to turn the page.

We hid behind the kitchen door, eager to hear their least interactions.

"Pa-"

"I missed you, son."

They spoke at the same time. My heart was beating and us, three ladies had our faces crinkling into a smile, against the door.

"I missed you too, Pa. I am really sorry that I left the way I did.-"

"You don't have to apologize my son. We both did bad things in our frustrations and I understand that."

The floor creaked, chairs were pushed back, steps advancing towards each other were heard. Then a very soft thump.

We allowed ourselves to slightly unseal the door and peaked from behind.

Father and son were hugging.

Holly hurried to envelope them with her arms, eyes brimming with tears and shrill cheers muffling away from her lips. Marie jumped in the irresistible family hug altogether.

Somehow, my vision blurred just a little, my cheeks pushing up effortlessly into my eyes.

The family suddenly opened up, as if looking for a missing part. Their eyes landed on me and John's were twinkling.

"Come, on," George said, voice heavy with emotions, gesturing me to

Join In.

I snuggled within their rib-breaking cuddle and my heart melted to a pool of chocolate. John's lips were on my cheek, and I almost heard him whisper an inaudible "I love you."

Here was the love, here was the warmth, here was the mended tears and the union of hearts. Here was a family, once again.