a crash and a bang

A flash of light blinds everyone nearby, and a thunderous crash is seen on the side of the road. Nothing but a girl erupts from the debris, tugging on her leg and screaming for help. There are 2 others underneath the car, coughing and pushing up the vehicle. All but one is moving, trying to escape.

There's a 4th person, a boy. He doesn't seem to be moving. Witnesses rush over to the crash as the police are contacted. The girl screams and cries as she tries to break free from the debris. Her vision grows hazy as the sound of panicked witnesses and busy policemen scutter through the air. Everything grows dark as her eyes close, the other victims of the crash rushing over to her, and the boy being drawn into an ambulance.

She reaches out weakly in the direction of the ambulance, "R-Ryan..."

***

The girl wakes, and she finds herself in a grey room, the smell too familiar for comfort. She sits up and looks around and finds the second victim of the car crash. Her cousin is sitting beside her, alerted by the movement.

"May, are you feeling any better?" she whispered, the question resonating through her head.

"I'm doing alright, Anne. The impact fucked up my leg a lot, though."

And then she remembered. The argument that went down in the car, the sudden turn, the crash.

The boy.

May bolted up in a panic, her eyes growing, as well her worries.

"Ryan! What happened to Ryan? I only remember seeing him being drawn into an ambulance and then I blacked out and-" she buried her head in her hands, and then looking up to see Anne in front of her.

"Don't worry, he's alright. But we don't know exactly what's happened to him..."

"Where is he?"

Before she spoke, the 3rd victim walked in, her uncle. He noticed that May had woken up, and he froze in his tracks.

"May, how are you feeling?" he asked, messing with his fingers, trying to stall.

She furrowed her eyebrows and glanced up at him, still trying to recall her memories of what had happened before the crash. "I'm fine." She scoffed, but her face relaxed and soon grew worrisome. "Where's Ryan?"

He flinched at the name. He felt guilt wash upon him like a ferocious wave, fidgeting where he stood as he tried to find the right words. She was waiting for an answer, he was fishing for a reply.

He finally spoke after a few seconds of obvious stalling. "Room 107. Down the hall and to the left, 3rd door on the right. The nurse has to ask you a few questions before you-"

She stood up and dashed for the hall, not giving a care in the world about the other visitors and nurses in the way. She dodged carts, needles and monitors, trying to get there as fast as possible. Although it was completely unnecessary, she felt incredibly responsible for him. She made a promise to him, his family, herself. How could I have let this happen? He could've died because of me! Was all that ran through her head as she finally reached the door.

She paused in front of the door. It was all too familiar for her liking. The metallic door handle showed her a reflection of the pain and anxiety that had flooded her face. She slowly reached for it as she stared it down, her body growing weak imagining the state he was in.

She steadily creaked the door open, the different air rushing over her. The smell was so heavy it made her heart sink. As it grew wider, she focused her line of sight on the ground, not bearing to look up. A soft voice spoke as she made her presence known.

"Hello, sweetheart. And who may you be?" She cooed, making May panic a bit.

She looked up and saw a woman in blue uniform, emerging from behind the drawn curtain in front of the bed. "I'm May, May Aguirre." She swung her foot a bit, feeling a bit uncomfortable.

"Well, May, I've got a couple of questions for you before you get to see the patient, okay?"

"Okay..." Her heart beat faster in her chest, I hope he's alright, she prayed.

"Let's start off with a simple question: What's your relation to the patient, Ryan Perkins?"

"I'm... his girlfriend, ma'am."

***

"Okay, those are all the questions I needed. I'll leave you be with him, May. Thank you." she smiled at her and walked out, gently shutting the door behind her.

May felt her body go numb, barely able to hold herself up. She wanted to leave, she wanted to just forget about what had happened in the car. She wanted her to be the one in the hospital bed instead of him. Why did it have to be him?

As her hand trembled, she grasped the curtain and pulled it gently, revealing the bedpost, wiring, feet, gown, and then suddenly, him.

His pale, slim face was covered by a breathing machine, and his arm had a needle protruding from it. His chest gently rose and fell as he breathed, the monitor to the right keeping track of his heart rate and his oxygen levels. The beeps and the breathing machine was the only sound filling the room.

His hair was wispy and frayed, and his lips were a dull pink. Memories flooded through May's mind of moments before with him. When they were by the classroom they had their first kiss, the sound of his laugh when she had missed his lips and kissed his nose instead. She laughed at the thought of it, and sat down beside him.

She took hold of his hand and brushed her thumb against it. She felt his loose grasp around her hand, hoping he'd hold on tighter. She wanted him to be awake, to see that she's okay, and for her to know that he's okay as well. How badly her heart ached was all too familiar. She wanted the aching to stop, she wanted the flow of tears to stop, she wanted him to be awake.

She wiped her tears and brushed a kiss against his cheek, the nostalgic citrus and burning wood smell flooding her senses. She muttered softly to him.

"I am so sorry, Ryan. I never wanted you to end up like this. I never meant for that argument to break out. I never meant for any of this to happen." Her voice broke as she gasped for air, the room feeling as if it grew smaller and smaller with each beep of the monitor.

"Please, wake up, babe. I want to know that you're okay, that you aren't angry at me, that you remember anything at all. I am so, so sorry..." Tears scattered on the bed sheet, her cries and sobs blocking up her throat. Her body went weak and she buried her face in the bed, muffling the sounds of despair.

As the waterfall dried up, she wiped her face and looked at him, seeing his chest rise and fall. She gave a faint smile and leaned forward to place another kiss on his forehead. She then rested her head on the bed and whispered.

"If you die, I'll kill you, and you know it." She shut her eyes and listened to his gentle breathing as she drifted off to sleep.

uh, i've been dead for months. this was based off of a dream i had last night, and man it was hell. anyways, don't expect much from me soon, i'm a game of russian roulette. signing out, kinky