Chapter 6: The "Surprise"

yes, yes I have a real true excuse(s) for not updating in a long time:

1:I was writing "My Awesome Ramadand and Eid"

2: Right after I finished MARAE, I updated Erum and was trying to go to chapter 2 on that story, at least 

3:I HAD ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT THE "SURPRISE" SHOULD BE

But, now, Alhumdulilah, I have it half-way figured out...well, READ ON TO FIND OUT

_____________________________

Ruweda was over for a sleepover and we were playing Truth and Dare, my parents trusting us to stay up late without making trouble. Ruweda was staring off into space, a smile on her face, during the first half of the game. At least the smile came off her face and she actually started acting like she was into the game. It was now my turn and I was nervous, my instincts rising the hair on my arms. 

"It's your turn, Amran, what do you choose?,'' Ruweda asked, so close to me, I could see her pupils getting larger. "Truth or Dare?".

I,being the stupid risk-taker that I was, chose Dare. Ruweda smiled again, this time her teeth showing.

I was just opening my mouth, ready to back out when Ruweda said, "I dare you to go out of this window, not the front or back door, go to the park and set down this bracelet, "She paused, taking out a gorgeous rainbow bracelet with a cute round bow in the middle. "...set down this bracelet under the fifth tree across from Mandler's Grove and then scream:PIZZA and come back here in five minutes". 

I sat there wide-eyed and unbelieving. "You can't make me do that, it's too dangerous" I told her, relieving a bit with the answer I gave her. 

Her smile got bigger and she said, "Oh, yes I can". 

I was getting suspicious, ready to agrue with her that she couldn't and she wouldn't when she took out a picture from her back pocket and handed it to me. 

I took it and as I looked closer, I still didn't understand. It was just the picture of that guy she was in love with. We heard a tick from the door and I froze. When we heard nothing for a few more seconds, she whispered, "What would happen if your parents find out you're stalking this guy?". 

"But I'm-, I trailed off, finally understanding what she was doing. She was blackmailing me. 

I thought about it, trying to see the consequences of all this and if I could come back without anyone finding out. And I changed my mind. I stood up, yanked the bracelet out of her hands, and walked to the window. 

As I stepped out of the window and brought it down behind me, Ruweda said something about 5 minutes, but I didn't want to listen. 

I took off into a hard jog to the park. After about 3 minutes, I arrived at the park looking around, panicking, and saw the fifth tree. I ran to it and threw the bracelet under there. I took a 30 second pause, taking deep breaths slowly and started running again. I was about 4 minutes away from home, 1 block away from Mandler's Grove and scared to death because of the dark when I heard a voice saying, "Hi!'' in a chirpy, high tone and I leapt up, my heart in my throat. I stopped and turned back and when I saw who it was, I screamed and ran as fast as I could back home. 

I wasn't watching where I was going and didn't see the speeding car heading for me and before it even hit me, I paused, for a single second, and fainted. 

____

 I woke up a week later, my head light and pounding, my skin rough and dry and my mom worriedly sitting in the car next to the hospital bed. 

I knew right away where I was and why. I groaned and my mom looked over. When she saw that I was awake, she stood up quickly and came to my side, dropping kisses on my head and muttering Alhumdulilah with tears running down her cheeks onto mine. For some crazy reason, I also started crying.