Chapter 1- New Beginnings Come With New Problems

5 Years Later

Condescent City Police Headquarters

Her head in her hand as she exhaled, she leaned back in her chair, spinning in a complete circle about three times before she stuck out her foot to stop the motion. 

She loved this chair. 

She sighed again, rolling her shoulders, cracking her neck, doing any little thing to get the tiredness out of her body. 

The files on her desk fluttered as the door to her office burst open, revealing her tussled assistant, Raegan Tone. Recruited for her many talents, she excelled in everything. 

Just not being quiet.

"Lieutenant  Blaze, these files need your urgent attention!" She tumbled into her office a mess of untidiness and uncertainty and plopped them on her desk. 

So much for a break. 

Emma sighed, trying to gather the paper's in an orderly fashion. "Can't this wait until I come back Rae?" She added a tinge of sadness to the sound of her voice to try and play on her emotions. She just couldn't deal with it today. 

It affected her, because her face instantly. "I'm sorry, but there's nothing i can do. It's under your jurisdiction." She offered a sympathetic smile. "It's about the triple homicide at the asylu-"

Suddenly, her phone beeped. Glad for the distraction, she whipped it out, smiling when she saw it was from Mrs. Daze. 

"Are we still on for this weekend?😱" She grinned, typing a quick "yes", typing back why she had that emoji there.

"Oh this one?😱 I don't know, isn't it cute?" 

"Is it from Mrs. Daze?" Raegan asked, perking up. She had grown fond of the woman that her boss called Mom, from he first time she barged into her office and nearly attacked her 3 years ago. She couldn't quite remember what the cause of conflict was,but she could've guessed it was something simple.

That old woman had a horrible temper. 

Raegan sighed extremely loud, drawing Emma's attention back to her. She sighed again, folding her arms, her face downcast.

"Is there something else that you ne-"

"Well, now that you mention it, isn't Brett Simmons from you town?" She asked quickly, plopping into a chair. 

Immediately, she scowled. She didn't like where this was going. 

"Just hear me out!" Raegan quickly said when she saw her face turn sour. "Just get me an autographed picture and we're-"

"Absolutely not!" Was she insane?

"Come on, please?" She begged, but Emma wouldn't budge. She hated the Simmons family with a passion. Their smug faces, their power, everything about them made her boil with anger. They got away with too much.

 But soon, they would get what was coming to them.

Raegan pursed her lips, then her face lit up. "Maybe we can help each other." 

Emma looked at her suspiciously. "Meaning?" 

"You get that autograph for me..." She got up and tarted to pace, spinning around abruptly " And I tell the captain I didn't see you." 

"You wouldn't," She wouldn't dare. 

"Try me." She plopped into her chair again, looking smug. "A desperate woman will do anything to get what she wants." Then she realized how it sounded. "Not that.... I'm desperate or anything, you know? I just want-"