Pink Scooter

She came maybe a week or so after school started up again in early September, calm and collected as though she had all the time in the world. No one knew where she went once the sun went down, only that she was sure to be back by morning. Adults saw her every now and again, sneaking into stores and somehow always getting out without setting off the alarms, but the children saw here more. She was most often seen around lunchtime, out back of the elementary school, sitting on the playground with the kids beneath her as she told stories of monsters and sang songs of blood. You'd think the kids were frightened by her, on the contrary they were anything but. There was just something about her large brown eyes that made you trust her instantly.

Sam and Sonny didn't usually find many girls older then them attractive, but she was definitely an exception; her calm collected persona, the way she stood without slouching that gave off a 'don't mess with me' vibe, even her red hair, smooth and silky, made them stop and stare whenever she happened to be close by.

~

It was a week before Halloween, decorations were being finalized, costume stores were finally starting to clear out, and the chilly autumn wind carried the warm smell of pumpkin spice and other sweet things on the wind. Sam and Sonny were walking home from school one day when the heard something that definitely caught their attention; singing, from a bewitching feminine voice. They slowed their steps and stopped before the elementary where they could just barely make out the second graders holding hands while dancing in a circle. And at the center of it, was a lovely young woman with bright red hair, big beautiful brown eyes, and smiling red lips as she clapped along and laughed with them.

"Skip skip skip to my Lou, skip skip skip to my Lou, skip skip skip to my Lou, skip to my Lou my darling." The kid's all stopped and it was her turn to sing, as soon as her mouth opened, a voice like molten gold danced forth and the two boys melted at the sound of it.

"I'll be glad to go with you, so pretty do not terry. But if I do, it's up to you to let me dance with Harry...Charlie...Tommy...Skip to the Lou my darling." And that's when she spotted them.

It was like a switch had been thrown; the smile on her face vanished, as though someone wiped it away in one swift motion. Her bright brown eyes darkened like someone had drawn a curtain over them, and though she didn't completely stop moving, she did slow and observe them with a glare that could stop a train. And boy did they get the message.

~

Some time later they were at Sonny's place when they caught sight of a pink scooter gently humming by, its infamous rider on the seat; wearing a turquoise helmet with a tinted cover. They both watched her ride by, ponytail blowing out in the wind behind her.

"She's hot." Sam declared, causing them to both laugh as they returned to their work.

But in reality they thought she was the most amazing woman alive, both secretly wished she'd at least talk to them, and both adored everything about her. Though in reality the only thing they knew about her was the same thing almost everyone knew: her name, if it even was her name;

Misty.