Understanding

Even by the time Halloween had rolled around no one could quite grasp what Misty had confessed. I mean, an evil puppet in love with a human girl? That just doesn't happen. And yet she hadn't been joking, her face was dead serious, her voice implying she was determined to make things right. Elsewhere in town, Misty was doing some thinking of her own.

Why'd you have to bounce back so quickly? It's like Madison all over again. She paused. No...no it's not going to be like Madison, because this time I'm not gonna let myself believe I can be normal and settle down. This time I'll make sure no one has to put up with me. "This time I'll stay alone. And it's all because of you." A lone tear slid down her cheek as she bit her lower lip hard enough to draw blood. Rusty yet sweet in taste.

~

Evening fell and Misty left her place and made her way to Sonny's house, wearing a dark red hoodie and a pair of black leather pants. "You always did hate it when I didn't dress pretty." Before pulling her hood over her head. Walking was what she was doing but her head made as well have been a balloon in her hand. She couldn't think, not when the concept of meeting her least favorite person again was right there nagging at her. In her fury she picked up a rock and chucked it, which knocked a tree trunk and landed harmlessly at its roots. It seemed like forever and half before she reached the house, even then she didn't feel like talking.

"She doesn't look so good." Usually Sonny would smack his friend for such a wise-ass comment, but today he silently agreed. It wasn't anywhere close to sunset yet Misty refused to move from the window, staring out at fading light, as though daring it to move faster. She seemed to be fine, silently fuming but fine, but every now and then they heard her sniffle, even Sarah was starting to feel sorry for her.

"Hey." The window woman didn't even flinch, Sarah took the opportunity to sit a little ways to her left. "You okay?" A pained smile came to her face. "Let's see, I'm about to go up against the monster that took everything from me. Again. Guess that must mean I'm peachy." "Right, stupid question." Silence.

"I'm sorry." She huffed. "I...I know how it feels to be betrayed by someone you love." That stopped her, she glanced at the blonde. "You do?" Sarah nodded.

"There was this boy I liked once, I thought he liked me as much I did him. Then one night, rather recently, I saw him kiss another girl." Misty sat up straighter. "I felt like, and still kinda do, that this is the end. But now I realize it isn't, nowhere close, in a way its the beginning." She looked into her eyes. "And it's all thanks to you."

Misty was at a loss for words, it had been way too long since the last time anyone had thanked her, it was a foreign feeling but vaguely familiar. She bit her lip before gazing back out the window. "Your welcome." Sarah smiled lightly. "You two really were close weren't you?" She nodded.

"Even if he was evil, and a toy, he made me feel alive, wanted. When I was with him it felt like nothing was impossible, like no one would hurt me because he was my shield." She lowered her head. "Don't tell the boys, but I still care about him. And I have no idea what to do." Sarah paused before hugging her gently.

"You will." Misty didn't say anything, only gazed out on the twilight as it continued to fade.