Ch 7

Light. Laughter. Happiness. Me. I'm running around clothed in my little summer dress, at the age of four. I'm barefoot in a meadow. My face is hidden, my back turned. A blurred figure is watching my every move. I finally turn around. My eyes are glowing purple, my fangs sticking out, claws replacing my round fingernails. I let out a mighty howl...

I gasp. I sit up in a tub filled with icy water. All around are concerned faces. My eyes immediately focus on Liam's face, the most concerned. "Are you okay?", Liam asked, his eyes clouded with worry. My head throbbed with pain and I felt like throwing up. "Yeah", I lied weakly. Judging by all their expressions, they didn't believe me. I made a weak attempt to get up. Malia and Liam quickly came to side and helped me up. Lydia handed me a towel. Once I was out of the tub and warm, I gave them grateful smiles.

"What happened?", I asked.

"You were hit in the head with a shovel and left for dead", Derek replied flatly.

"Do you know who hit me?", I asked.

"No", he said. Who would want me dead?

"Liam found you", Derek adds. Liam looks down at the ground, blushing fiercely.

"Thank you", I said shyly. Then I realized that my parents would definitely be worried now.

"I need to get going", I said.

"Well you're not walking home alone in the dark. I'm giving you a ride", said Lydia, grabbing her car keys. She strode out the doors and I quickly followed, not without sending a little wave to Liam, who waved back.

*****

Lydia was rich, by judging her car. I gave her the directions to my house. After a few moments of awkward silence, Lydia asked, "So what do you do, besides being a werewolf?"

"I play soccer, I read, and I write", I answered. She nodded. Awkward silence.

"Liam was totally checking you out", she said out of the blue.

I stared at her. "What?", I said.

"He was", she said. "Looking you up and down", she added popping the p.

"He was not", I said.

"He was", she said.

"He has more decency than that", I said confidently, even though I doubted myself.

"You don't know him", she said calmly.

"Do you?", I fired back.

Without answering my question she said, "I like you".

Wait. Why would she like me after I had just gotten in a fight with her?

Just then we arrived at my house. The lights were on, and both my mom and my dad's cars were in the driveway.

I stepped out of the car. "Why do you like me?", I asked, peering in through the passenger window to look at her.

"You remind me of Allison", she said. She gave me a small, sad smile and drove away without another word.

I stood on the sidewalk dumbfounded. Who was Allison?