Killing A Gemstone

PROLOGUE

She loosened her tight grip on her hair, before she slowly sat up and watched her surroundings. The village was on fire and the screams from frightened humans filled the air. The attackers had begun at dawn, cutting their way through the innocent crowd of people. The battle was almost lost, that was a fact she just had to face. She raise her tired body in a manner to try to hide the fact that she had almost no strenght left in her. Next to her stood her twin brother, with his bow raised in shooting position while he eyed his target. His breath was heavy of fatigue as her own was, but he found the strength to keep shooting. He let the arrow cut through the air on its way to the target. It hit the body straight in the heart, instantly ending one of the attacker's life. She had now fetched her own bow, eyeing her own target. In the same way her brothers arrow had ended a man's life, her arrow killed with no hesitation. There was no doubt that both she and her brother were better at shooting with a bow, than fighting a close-up sword fight with warriors twice their own age and size.

***

The sky turned into the color of blood as the sun left, while the air chilled down roughly in this late october night. The battle was almost over. Their parents were killed as well as all the other villagers, leaving herself and her brother all by themselves. Their hands were bound tight together, as they lay in the middle of a small circle, with men surrounding them everywhere. Her brother managed to somehow keep a calm and stern look, as if the fact that they were kept captivated at the ground like this, had no affect at him at all. She closed her eyelids before she heard a grown man's voice speak out. "These must be the twins he talked about." Another man snorted sarcastic. "Of course they are. Did you see any other twins in the village?" The man didn't answer, so he continued. "In fact they were also the only ones that actually had something like a bow." He turned to look at her, her brother, and then back at her again. "Children, how old are you?" He spoke out. When he got no answer, he kicked her brother in the leg. "Answer me!" He demanded. She hoped that her brother would answer, because her own voice didn't have any strength left. Her heartrate slowed down when she heard her brothers calm voice. "We are both 18 years old." A smile grew on the man's face at this answer. "Then we have the right ones. Joseph, and Alexander, they are your responsibility until we arrive at the castle. The King will be glad to see that we finished the mission in only one day of battle."

Those were his last words before he mounted a horse and walked away. The two men that had been named grabbed herself and her brother. Her eyes met her brothers as a clever smile formed on his lips. Before she could even react her brother broke free by hitting the man in his left leg. While the wounded man was baffled, her brother managed to get hold of the man's knife and cut of the ropes that trapped his hands together. She didn't have a chance to break free before the man holding her's grip tightened and trapped her inside his arms. She screamed when a soaked cloth was held infront of her, and the last thing she remembered before she became unconsciously, was that the same act with the another cloth was performed on her brother. Little did she know that this would be the end of her old life and the beginning of a new one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

END NOTES

Sooo, what do you think? It's the first time I ever publish anything of my writing, so please, don't be to harsh :-) English is not my first language so if there are any misspellings, please leave a note ;-) Feel free to comment! :D