II. the little prince

*Third Person View* (Disclaimer: this chapter is several years ahead of the last one.)

The children said they were real. When playing hide and seek in the forest, they said, they had seen them.

The girl and boy from the stories. But not just any boy and girl, no. Two of the most important: A young queen and the knights' commandant. Lark and Jessop, the children remembered aloud. Yes, those were their names.

But the adults just laughed it off. Those stories are nothing but fiction, they would say. The kings, queens, and commandants of old are merely children's stories...which you are getting a little old for now, don't you agree.

The children would run away, sometimes teary-eyed, sure of what they saw.

The adults would continue about their days, satisfied that they were right...

But often, children see more than adults, as was true in this case. They began calling them the Ghost Queen and Ghost Knight as they grew older, to scare each other at midnight gatherings.

As they grew older still, most began to forget this brief encounter with the past, brushing it off as just a child's imaginary game.

But some did not forget. In particular, one boy. Now nineteen, he could still remember his not-so-brief encounter with those two from the stories his nurse had told him.

When he was but a Little Prince...

...

"Caspian!" yelled his nurse playfully as he ran across fields and over hills evading her. (He always was very into hide and seek).

"Come and get me!" he shrieked as he continued to run, and run, and run. He only stopped when he encountered a part of the forest he had never seen before. And...something else.

"Hello there, little one!" A girl's sweet voice issued from the trees, followed by a boy's voice:

"Lark? What are you doing! Oh, sh--"

"Jessop! Be polite!" The girl finally stepped out of the trees, and Caspian audibly gasped. "What?" the girl looked momentarily worried, then smiled. "I don't look that bad, do I?"

Caspian suddenly felt very self-conscious of the mud on his own clothes. Dropping to his knees, he bowed his head. "Your majesty, I'm so sorry--"

The girl grimaced. "Oh, come on! There's no need for you to bow down to me. A simple handshake or--" but the boy was already up, hugging her around the waist. "I'm guessing you've heard of us?" she joked. The young boy pulled away, his eyes shining.

"You're exactly like I imagined you," he whispered. "Of course, you're Lark...but..."

"Where's Jessop? Of course, I could only expect such things. it's only natural you should be more interested in him, seeing as you're...well...who exactly are you?"

"I'm Prince Caspian!" the boy said with all the authority he could muster. "The tenth, to be exact."

"Of course! How could I have missed it--you look just like your father." Lark exclaimed.

Caspian seemed surprised. "You knew my father? But--"

"We're only teenagers? Jessop's voice could be heard again. He too stepped out of the trees. "Well, I'm glad we don't look one thousand years old, at least." Caspian laughed at this remark.

"So, Caspian...why are you all the way out here?" Lark cut in.

"Oh...well, my uncle was supposed to teach me how to sword fight today...but I'd much rather listen to stories and play outside."

Lark's smile turned sad. "Caspian...do you believe in those stories?"

"Of course! I've always wanted to see a real dwarf...or centaur...or talking horse, or--"

"Well...I'm afraid there aren't too many of us left." Lark knelt so she was eye to eye with the prince. "Never forget this, Caspian. Never forget us, or the old stories. But...go home. Learn how to use a sword. Listen to those boring adults. But never, ever forget this moment. I have a feeling you are very special, Caspian. I know we will see you again..."

"But, when, Lark? When will I see you again?"

"Soon, kid, very soon," Jessop said solemnly as they retreated into the trees.

"But--"

Caspian couldn't finish his sentence, for they were already gone.

He wandered back to the castle alone, not quite sure of the difference between dreams and reality.

...

Now, as Caspian was shaken awake at midnight by his professor, he remembered that moment. 

He finally knew what soon meant. Soon meant that things were going to happen, good and bad...but whatever happened, he would have friends by his side.

Soon was now.

-----------------------------------------------------------

YEAH WOOOHOOO CHAPTER ONE!

Yeah...so that was fun, but sort of just a placeholder until I get the Pevensies back to Narnia.

Until then, stay Calm, Collected, and a little bit Crazy.

See you next time, mes amis!

Au Revoir,

Z