V. just like that

"Hey, Pevensie."

The words were out of my mouth before I turned around. Even before I saw him, I could picture his raven hair, his dark eyes, his pale skin, and crooked smile. Just how I left him at 14.

I could see him at 18, running down the beach like a little kid, kicking at the waves and joking with Peter.

I saw him at 20, sitting regally at the head of a table, officiating a meeting Peter was out for. We all found it incredibly boring, and I could see his struggle while trying to hide his smirk as Lucy kicked him under the table for laughing.

Then, I saw him, felt him, at 25, leaving to hunt the stag. Kissing me and winking, offering a simple: "I'll see you soon." And that was it.

And then I was facing him, his shock-stricken 15-year-old face, His curious dark eyes, the face I knew so well. But I didn't know, did I? I didn't know him. But then he was smiling, and I remembered. 14, 18, 20, 25...all one Edmund.

And he was here. Just like that.

We stood silently, facing each other there on the beach. Me dripping and shivering, him wet up to his knees from pulling in the boat. Just--looking. Remembering, learning.

Who are you? The silence seemed to say. What have I missed? Who have I missed?

Lucy's voice echoed into the emptiness.

"Well, is that all you have to say?" 

Eight words.

For a second, a split moment, a blink of an eye, everything was silent again. I was almost sure that they would vanish before my eyes- that it was all another dream.

And then he was stepping, running, holding me, kissing me--and I was there, in his arms, kissing him, living in the moment, just--being. His hands cupping my face gently, my arms around his neck, no longer caring about the cold cling of my wet and torn dress. It was familiar, yet alien. It was something we had done a hundred times, but it might as well have been the first.

And I could've stayed there for another 3,000 years.

Just like that.

Unfortunately, the others wouldn't have that.

"Well, don't hog her!" Susan exclaimed. I laughed and pulled away, running to my older sister and wrapping her in a hug. 

"Susan!" I exclaimed, "Oh, I missed you all so much!"

"Don't forget about me!"  A small voice called, and I turned to find my 'younger sister' and closest friend. 

"Oh, Lucy!" I said, running, then tripping, and falling right on top of Lucy. Spitting sand out of my mouth and sitting up, we took one look at each other and burst out laughing.

"Your face!"

"Your hair!"

We giggled like five-year-olds as we helped each other up. "Oh, I've missed you all so much!"

Edmund caught my eye and wiggled his eyebrows. I tried to hide my smile and failed. "Well, should we head--"

"Well, hello there!"

Lucy's voice interrupted my sentence. Turning to follow her voice, I saw that the thing she was greeting was a large, brown bear. She approached the creature, talking as she went. The others didn't pay attention at first.

But then I realized. It had been so long since Lucy had been in Narnia, she didn't know what had happened. Or who. Or the fact that not all animals remembered how to talk. Or how to be human.

"Lucy, wait!" I yelled, jogging toward the younger girl. "Lucy, wait, you don't understand--"

The bear reared up on its hind legs, growling in our direction. "Get behind me!" I screeched, grabbing Lucy roughly by the wrist and tugging her toward me. Shielding my face with my hands, I sucked in a breath to scream--

And then, a flash of golden light. When the haze cleared, I saw the bear, lying dead on the ground. Everyone stared straight at me, disbelieving. "What? Guys, what is it? We're okay, Lucy and I are fine, so what--"

Susan raised a finger, pointing at my arm. Following her hand with my eyes, I saw what she was staring at: my bracelet. The bracelet that was given to me thousands of years ago, that I had never needed to use until earlier today, was glowing again. The light dimmed as we watched, eventually fading altogether. "What--did I--"

"I guess a lot has changed since we've been gone," said Peter roughly, turning on his heel toward the boat on shore. "We'll take Glasswater river to the how."

Edmund stared after him, mouth open slightly. "Peter, what do you mean,..." his voice faded as he sped up, trying to make peace with his brother. Susan and Trumpkin followed until it was just Lucy and me.

"Come on, Luc, let's go. They'll leave us behind if we stand here." I quipped, trying to sound cheerful?

But really? I was wondering. How much really has changed. I haven't, have I? Peter definitely has. Have the other Pevensies?

Has Edmund?

And now, at that moment, I was doubting the one thing that had kept me on track for millennia.

Just. Like. That.

--

YOOOOOOOOO It's been so long! Since I updated this sequel or updated in general! BUT I AM BACK--and I have a couple of new fanfictions and an original in the works, so expect those coming soon.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK! See you soon lovely people!

Au Revoir,

Z