Chapter 3

When I got home. my mom had half the stuffed moved out of the junk room. I gave her the stuff she asked me to by and showed her the playlet I bought for Mia.

"What do you think?" I asked her

"What I think is it will be the first of money toys she'll be getting."

It's her favorite." I said quietly

"Well that's not much of a coincidence is it." Mom looking knowing at me. "Wasn't the little Mermaid your favorite too."

"Yeah," I chuckled.

"Well, chop-chop we got a lot to do today for tomorrow."

After helping move the rest of the junk out of the room and into the attic, I came back to the room. I  was surprised, it was amazing how much she could get done in such a short amount of time. It looked exactly like a little girl's bedroom. There was pink and yellow everywhere, pink curtains, pink bedspread, my old yellow toy box that is now a very pale color, and my matching yellow bed frame. It was beautiful. I was proud of my mom's work and excited to see Mia use all the stuff from my childhood. I hope she would love the room as much as I do.

"What do you think?" asked mom

"It's wonderful, she's going to love it. I do."

I looked at my mom to see a whole proud look all over her facial features. She really did outdo herself this time.

"Well then, it will definitely be ready for her tomorrow, now for us its time to rest," she comes towards me and walks me out of the room towards the hall. I take another big look and take a deep breath and closed the door. "Come on, it's going to be a long day tomorrow."

"Yeah, I know."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning I showered and straighten up the living room, while my mom put the final details into Mia's room.

Mom had temporarily turned my old bed into a toddler bed, with rails on the side,  so she wouldn't fall out of the bed at night, and I was thankful. When she was ready to start sleeping on her own, I would feel safe with her sleeping there.

While we were standing there gushing over the room the doorbell rang and my heart jumped to a start. That meant Mia was here. What would she think of me? Would she like me? Would she like her new home? All these questions were flooding through my head were ridiculous. she's was almost one and a half. She probably won't notice anything except her toys and Disney Channel.

"Gin are you going to go get the door?" Mom question.

"Yeah, I'm just preparing myself." I laughed nervously.

"Well let's go," Mom said, ushering me to the door.

I made my way to the living room and mentally readied myself before opening the door. I was in such a state, I didn't know what to do. Gina and Harry were dead and I was sad for them, but selfishly I was so excited to meet Mia, my daughter.

When I finally unlocked the door and pulled it open there they were three people at my door.

A lawyer, probably a social worker, and the cutest little brown-haired baby girl I've ever seen in the social worker's arm. She sat there staring, studying me for a brief moment then she made a gurgling noise with her mouth.

"Mama," she said

I looked at the social worker with a surprise. Can she tell I'm her biological mom? Or was she calling out for Gina?