twelve.

"Why can't you ever just listen to me?"

Tamara stared at the landline. There was a pit in the bottom of her stomach, all she wanted to was call home. Let them know she was okay. Even if the call was a minute or two.

The temptation was growing. Especially since there was nothing to do. Frank seemed to be out again, and she couldn't argue with him. After they'd made up, it was better not to question him.

He'd kissed her goodbye, and asked her if she trusted him. And that's all there was to it. There was no need to worry about him. But she couldn't help but worry. Not even just about Frank.

The anticipation was excruciating. Soon enough, the dusty telephone was the only thing in her mind. The home phone number repeating in her head like some sort of mantra.

She bolted towards the phone and quickly dialled it. All of Frank's warnings had gone out of the window.

All the way back in Tamara's home upstate, her mother Joelle was sat at the dining table. It was at least two in the morning.

She couldn't bring herself to sleep whatsoever, all in her mind was her daughter. Her eyes were bloodshot, mixed with the sleepless nights and crying. Staring blankly into space.

There was a small memory playing in her head. It was at her own mothers home when Tamara was at least five. Running around the garden,

"Look Mama!" She heard her small voice echo.

And with that she felt more tears roll down her cheeks.

The last memory she had of her daughter, was at the event at their house. She looked over at her when she was smiling and reassuring her father something.

She knew her husband couldn't do anything about her incessant bawling. Every time she took a breath, it took every fibre of her being not to start sobbing. But her body was dried out.

Suddenly, a ring on the phone cut through her thoughts. She looked over at the phone, questioning whether she should've even pick it up. There had been a lot of fake calls, trying to claim money. She knew even with her husband's money and influence, there was nothing she could really do.

Reaching over to pick it up gingerly, she held it to her ear.

"Hello?"

Joelle's eyes immediately widened in shock at the familiar voice at the end of the line.

"Tamara? Is that you...?"

"Yes Mom it's me, I just-"

"Stay on the line! I'm going to get help, we're going to rescue you!"

"No! Mom, don't!"

"Why the hell not?!" Joelle yelled, frantic.

"Because if you do, they'll kill me and you! I can't risk it."