(5)

"Latte girl," Jesse greeted me as I bumped into him at the beach the next morning. "What brings you here?"

Your body, perhaps, I thought, eyeing his perfect abs. Instead of saying that out loud, I just shrugged. "Couldn't stay away."

His eyes twinkled. "From the beach or from me?"

My cheeks heated. "How was I supposed to know you would be here today?"

"Well, Ri Ri, maybe you've been following me?"

I rolled my eyes. "Where did that come from?"

"What? The following part or..."

"No one calls me Ri Ri," I said pointedly.

"They do now. You going in or what?" He took a step towards the sea.

"Um..." I glanced at the waves crashing in and then at Jesse's lack of clothes. He didn't have a wetsuit on this time, just his trunks. "I don't have a wetsuit."

"Neither do I. Come on." And with that he turned and jogged out to sea. I sighed. What did I have to lose? I stripped down to my bikini and ran in what I hoped was a graceful way to the water.

As soon as my toes touched the water I started shivering. Trying to ignore that, I waded deeper and met Jesse where the water was up to my waist.

I couldn't help but notice him glancing down at my tanned body. He smirked ever so slightly then looked up at me.

I met his gaze and looked into his dark blue eyes. Those eyes were so familiar, but he said his name was Jesse, not Jack. I don't even know how that works.

I didn't know how long we stayed like that, our bodies close, our eyes looking into each other's souls.

I knew him. I knew this beautiful boy who claimed not to be the one I used to love.

"Ariana," he said quietly. I didn't respond but stepped a little closer.

Until a big wave broke on us and knocked me off my feet.

I fell on my bum, spluttering, as Jesse roared with laughter.

"It's not funny!" I said indignantly.

"It kinda is," he said, still laughing his head off. My cheeks were red hot as I stood up, ignoring Jesse's hand.

"I'm sorry," he said, trying to keep a straight face and failing miserably. I glared at him.

"You wouldn't find it so funny if it was you." I frowned, running my fingers through my hair.

He apologised again, this time sounding like he meant it this time. Deciding to forgive him, we began to dive under the waves and swim around in the sea. He taught me to body surf and I caught on very quickly - it was probably something I did before I lost my memory. Only when my stomach started to rumble did I realise that it was lunch time.

"Jesus, how long did we spend in there?" I said as I dried myself off with Jesse's spare towel. When I came down I didn't plan on going in the sea so I hadn't brought my own.

"Who the hell knows? And who the hell cares? We had fun, time is just a number." He winked.

"Uh, I think it's meant to be, 'age is just a number', isn't it?" I questioned, laughing.

He shrugged. "Speaking of, how old are you?"

I bit my lip. My memory somehow told me Jack was eighteen - and I knew I was still seventeen. It was only a one year difference, but still. "Seventeen." I looked down.