ONE

One

One. . . two. . . three. . . four.

The grimy hotel floor beneath my knuckles is revolting to the touch, but I've grown accustomed to the feeling by now.

Five. . . six. . . seven. . . eight. . . nine.

"We have to give him time to keep his promise," Zombie tried to convince me staying here is a good idea, "Wouldn't you want to wait if you were Cassie?"

"No," I replied easily, "Because I'm not an idiot. I'd understand that he's dead and there's nothing I can do for him now. It's time to get going, Zombie."

Ten. . . eleven. . . twelve. . . thirteen—

"You shouldn't be doing that." There's Ringer, standing in the doorway with no expression on her face. Like usual.

I push myself back on my haunches and stare at her. She's wearing a parka and some jeans, rucksack gripped in one hand and rifle in the other. "And you shouldn't be going alone, but I'm sure he's already told you that."

Ringer nods. She's heard Zombie say it all before, there's no point in repeating him.

The caverns are a good idea. Ringer told me about it before she told Zombie, which made me feel strangely appreciated, and I agreed that that was where we should be headed. Before winter came and we all died from hypothermia.

Cassie Sullivan, however, decided that we would be staying here until her Silencer showed up. She was sure he would.

I was sure he was dead.

I stand up on wobbly legs. She watches me fight for my own balance for three seconds and then, "You should stop doing knuckle push-ups in the dark."

I change the subject. "He's waiting in the lobby."

"I know."

"He's going to try and send Poundcake with you."

"Ridiculous." She told me that if anyone else was going to join her, it would be me. I felt flattered.

If there wasn't an infection rooted into my body, I would have been packed and ready to go right now.

I don't want to start and argument. I change the subject again. "I'm going to try and learn chess. Maybe I'll teach Zombie."