TWO

When I step into the room, Teacup is just a bundle beneath the covers of Dumbo's bed

When I step into the room, Teacup is just a bundle beneath the covers of Dumbo's bed. I decide leaving her alone to sulk about Ringer is the best move. I opt for lying down on Zombie and I's bed. On my stomach, of course, because I just had to get shot in the back.

Dumbo turns to me with a frown. "You feeling okay?"

He's been tasked with trying to keep Zombie and I alive, despite being twelve and having little to no actual experience. He won't say whether or not we're getting better or worse because he's scared he might be wrong. Or maybe he's superstitious and thinks that whatever he says will backfire. I'm not sure.

"Dizzy," I reply, shutting my eyes. My back itches and I resist the urge to rip the bandage off and throw the fucker across the room. It's useless considering that it's already infected anyways, but it keeps Dumbo from constantly checking on me.

A minute later, I hear Zombie come in. He's finished with his conversation with Cassie and come in to lay down for a couple of minutes. I don't even open my eyes to acknowledge him. He probably thinks I'm sleeping.

Either way, he doesn't seem to care as his hand moves to my hair, untangling the strands with his long fingers. I sigh halfheartedly, basking in the feeling. I can almost see Zombie's small smile. It feels so good.

The door flies open and Cassie runs in. I open my eyes and whip up into a standing position, the knife from my pocket in hand. Dumbo stands up. Zombie sits up. I glare at her. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

She ignores me. "Where's Teacup?"

Dumbo stares at her incredulously, pointing at the bed beside Zombie and I's. "Right here."

Cassie storms over and whips aside the mound of covers. Teacup's not in the bed, but there's a pillow underneath it to make it look like she was.

Ah, shit.

Zombie curses; Dumbo backs up against the wall with a red face, "I swear to God she was just there!"; and me, about to hunt down that little shit and drag her back here by her hair.

"I saw her," Cassie says. "Outside--"

"Outside?" Zombie swings his legs over the side of the bed, grunting in pain.

"On the highway," she says.

"Ringer. She's going after Ringer." He hand comes down on the mattress beneath him. "Damn it!"

"I'm gonna drag that little shit in by her hair," I seethe, but when I try and move I come crashing down on the bed beside Zombie. The push-ups earlier, combined with the struggle with the kids, and then this-- it's taking a toll on me. Which is really not good when we have a missing squad member, a wounded sergeant, and two squads possibly hunting usdown.