Good Ending

Joker beckoned Akechi closer and whispered in his ear. He didn't want anyone to overhear them. Akechi's eyes grew wider the more Joker said.

"You're sure about that?" Akechi asked in bewilderment.

"Positive," Joker said with a nod. "That should be enough to help you solve the case on your own." He knew Akechi would never be satisfied if somebody handed him the answers on a silver platter, so he determined it would be best if he finished it himself. Besides, he wasn't sure if Akechi even wanted him there.

Akechi's eyes darted from page to page. "Brilliant," he said under his breath. "It's all there." He looked up at Joker. "Your mind is still as sharp as ever," he said. "I'm impressed." He called the barista over.

"Anythin' I can get you fine gentlemen?" she said cheerfully.

"Just the check, please. And put his coffee on my bill," said Akechi with a smile.

"Sure thing!" said the barista as she went back to the register.

"You didn't have to do that," Joker said.

"It is the least I can do to thank you for assisting me." He gathered his papers back into the folder.

Joker smiled. "I appreciate it."

Akechi paid the bill and rose to his feet. "Well, Joker, it has been a pleasure working with you." He extended his hand, and Joker shook it firmly. "I wish you the best in all your future endeavors." With that, he strode across the cafe and out the door.

" With that, he strode across the cafe and out the door

Joker watched him go. His heart was still heavy, but miles better than it had been the past few weeks. He was glad he could help his friend out one last time, even if it had to be a mock criminal case. He suddenly remembered who had set him up in the first place, and craned his neck to find his friends. Neither of them was outside the window like they were before. Strange, he thought, and got to his feet.

He opened the door and peered around. He could have sworn the two friends were staring through the window the entire time, but they must have scattered when they saw Akechi coming, he guessed. "Hey, guys?" he said quietly.

Futaba popped her head out of a nearby hedge. "Hey man!"

Joker nearly had a heart attack. "CHIKUSHOU!" [son of a bitch] He clutched his heart. "What the hell are you doing in a bush, Futaba?"

She cackled maniacally. "We had to hide! Otherwise Akechi would have known something was up." She stepped out of the bush and brushed the twigs off her clothes. "Come on out, Inari!"

Yusuke tumbled out of a tall bush beside hers. His hair was full of leaves and he had a small scratch on his cheek. "I have never been so humiliated in my life." He tried desperately to shake his head free of the leaves, but a few remained lodged in his locks.

" He tried desperately to shake his head free of the leaves, but a few remained lodged in his locks