Bad Ending 1

"Joker?" Akechi asked again, when he had gone through each one. "Do you understand the pictures?"

Joker shook his head. "I just can't seem to remember," he confessed. "I know I've seen these pictures together before, but the answer eludes me."

Akechi was crestfallen. "Oh. That's alright," he lied, pulling the papers back to him.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help."

"You are?" said Akechi coldly. "Why did you come here today?" he said suddenly.

Joker stared at his hands. "Truth be told, I'm not really sure. I was led here under false pretenses." It sounded bad coming out of his mouth, but he knew it was true. "I sort of thought...I could make things better between us." It was hard to confess.

Akechi was not amused. "I'm actually extremely busy with this case," he said. "So if you don't mind." He buried his head in his paperwork. He knew he was being harsher than necessary, and almost started to feel a twinge of regret that he had rejected Joker in this way. But then he remembered the horrible way Joker had treated him, how he had chosen Yusuke over him time and time again, and it was all too much.

Joker waited another moment before saying, "I understand." But he didn't. He didn't understand why Akechi would not even accept his apology. But it was ultimately his decision, and Akechi rarely went back on his word. It was one of the many qualities that had attracted Joker to him. Akechi did not look up again, so Joker took him in one last time before leaving the cafe, and Akechi, behind forever.

Yusuke and Futaba were waiting outside for him. Judging by the looks on their faces, they had seen how wrong the rendezvous had gone. Futaba spoke first, "Uh...that didn't look too good." She bit her lip. "Did you even get a single picture? You weren't in there very long."

"No, I didn't."

Yusuke sighed. "But we set it up perfectly for you. We thought for sure it would be all too easy for someone with as keen a mind as you." He stared at him, trying to gauge his expression, but Joker's face was blank and devoid of emotion. "I suppose we misjudged."

Joker didn't want to hear anymore. "Yeah, I guess you don't know me at all." The words stung them, because they held truth in them. Joker had changed from the cool, confident leader they had all come to know and love and follow without hesitation, into this empty shell of person who could not remember a single important outing with any of his closest friends.

While he accepted that it was his own shortcomings that resulted in the failed case, he hated his friends for putting him through it without preparation. "I'm going home," Joker said.

"Leblanc isn't your home," Futaba challenged him. "Not since you've turned into this--I dunno, this miserable piece of junk!" Tears filled her eyes and threatened to spill over. She collected herself with a deep breath. Then her eyes iced over and she said, "I wish you had never moved here." With that, she turned haughtily on her heels and left.

" With that, she turned haughtily on her heels and left

It felt like Joker's heart had split in two. Futaba was the closest thing he had to family in Tokyo, which she had basically just thrown at his feet and stomped on without a second thought. He trembled slightly, and was afraid to look up at Yusuke. He was afraid of the expression he would wear. Would it be sympathy, or hatred?

"Look at me," Yusuke commanded as though he heard what Joker was thinking. Joker's eyes trailed from the ground up to his face. It was eerily smooth and emotionless. "Now listen very carefully, Joker. This was our last attempt to turn you back into the wonderful human being we know you are deep down. Although we have failed miserably, there is still a chance for you to reconcile yourself, not only with us, but for you and your future." He said this with a straight face, giving away none of the sorrow he felt within. He exhaled and released the tension from his shoulders. "It is up to you now."

Joker didn't say a word as Yusuke gave him one a long, hard look before turning his back to him and heading home. "What will you do without me?" Joker called to him suddenly.

Yusuke looked over his shoulder. "I will leave that to your imagination," he said with a smirk.

 "I will leave that to your imagination," he said with a smirk