Chapter 4

I wake suddenly to banging metal. This makes me wish i had gotten more sleep lastnight.

"Get dressed and be in the training room in 5," says a man that looked like he didn't want to be up this early. Where was the guy from yesterday. I never even found out his name.

I quickly slip on my boots, splash some water on my face,and then wait for Kenzi and the guys to walk with.

We get to the training room and all gather in a group talking about what kind of training we think there going to start us with.

"I hope we start with knives!" Kenzi cheers.

"I hope we don't," Tyler squeals.

"Awww....Are you afraid of knives," Jack says in a whiny voice.

I grew up with Jack in Candor. He doesn't care what people think and doesn't know when to shut up. He has no filter and picked on every kid that looked at him wrong.

"I want to just punch a bag....build some muscle on these frail arms," I say pointing to myself.

"Oh yeah....I'd like to punch something," Jack says glaring at me. I glare back to seem somewhat powerful, but it doesn't work that well.

"Alright initiates ready for some work?" The man from this morning says. "My name is Four. I usually work in the control room, but for the next few weeks I will be training you to see who has what it takes to be here....There will be three stages. First stage is to test your physical ability. At the end of stage one some of you will become factionless." Kenzi gives me a worried look, but i reassure her with a smile. "The second stage is to test your emotional ability and to push you till you break to build you back up....The third stage is your final test....Ok so were going to start with the punching bags."

"Yes!" I whisper loud enough so Kenzi can hear me. Kenzi answers me with a smirk.

I pick the bag next to Kenzi. I look around at everyone punching trying to learn. I've never really learned how to punch.

"Are you just going to stand there?"

I look over my shoulder to see him standing next to four. I could never forget those grey eyes.

"Yes, i'm talking to you initiate," he nods towards me.

"I...I was just observing," I stutter.

"Well maybe you should stop observing and start punching," he scowls.

"Take it easy on her, Eric. It's her first day." Four says nudging Eric's arm.

"Lets see what she's got....go on and punch," he growls.

I turn towards the bag. I raise up my hand in a fist and swing as hard as I can. I think i hurt my hand more than the bag. I hear them chuckle behind me.

"Keep going....Your going to need all the practice you can get," Eric chuckles as he walks out of the training room.

I go back to punching the bag. My mind is going crazy. I know his name, Eric. I can't get myself to stop thinking about him. I want to know him.

We spent the rest of the time before lunch punching. By the time we were done my knuckles were so bruised and cut up.

I walked to the dining hall and went straight for the ice. I grab some and tell Kenzi that i needed some rest. I walk back to the dorms and sit down on the cot. I grab one of Tyler's shirts and wrap ice with it and put it against my knuckles. I climb under the covers to rest my eyes. Soon enough i fall asleep.

I wake suddenly to Kenzi shaking me.

"Bo, wake up. Your going to be late. You weren't in the room. We have to hurry before Four gets there," she says while breathing heavily.

I jump out of bed and start sprinting to the training room. It's so dark in the hallways that I can't see where i'm going. I turn the corner and slam into a large dark figure. Right away i realize it is Eric. I start to turn into a red tomato. Luckily it is so dark he can't see me blush. I can't waste any time. I move past him and start running again.

"Sorry," I yell back at him.

Kenzi and I arrive seconds before Four arrives. I'm bent over with my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath. I stand when I feel like my lungs are not about to explode. I lean on Tyler trying to keep myself from falling over. Kenzi looks at me like she is thinking thats a good idea. She stands up and starts to lean on George.

"So lets go for a run," Four yells out.

I glance at Kenzi and she glances back at me. We fall to the floor and start to pretend to cry. George and Tyler look at us like were crazy.

We end up running all around the Dauntless compund. My legs feel like jello by the end of the run.

"Thats it for today. The rest of the night is for you to do whatever you want," Four says.

After dinner I tell Kenzi that I have something to show her. I lead her to the net room. We pull ourselves onto the net and look up at the stars.

"I miss my family. Especially my sisters," Kenzi says.

"You will see them again on visiting day," I say trying to reassure her.

"I know, I can't wait." She says cheerfully.

For the rest of the night she told me stories about her sisters till we started to feel tired. We walked back to the dorms. I took a quick shower and realized i had no pajamas. I walk out in my towel and go over to Tyler's cot. 

"Could i borrow one of your shirts. I need something to sleep in," I ask.

"Yeah....Sure....You want a pair of boxers to use as shorts?"

"That would be great!"

I run into the shower stall to change into Tyler's clothes which were so much comfier than my regular clothes. I walk back into the open area and climb into bed. I say goodnight to Kenzi, Tyler, and George. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

Author's Note: I know this chapter is a lot longer than the other ones. I had more that i could think of this time. I am so happy that i am to 100 reads. Thank you for reading :)