Fifty Nine - Are You Gay?

It was the night before Dan left again, flying back to LA. He was equally excited and disappointed about it.

On one hand he couldn't wait to see Arin - all of his friends - again. He and Arin actually hadn't talked much in the past two weeks, Arin always seeming to be busy with something, not that he would tell Dan what it was. He had to admit it hurt a little, but he'd been pretty occupied himself with family. And in a way, this lack of contact only made Dan more eager to go back, to hear his voice again.

Though on the other hand he didn't want to say goodbye to his family; he hadn't seen them in basically a year and he didn't know if he was ready to leave them again yet. The past two weeks had been great. Catching up and just kind of being normal, enjoying their time together like it was just another year.

Like I'm not blind.

It was a thought that he couldn't help have. It was nice that everyone hadn't made a big deal of it, but a part of him felt like they were avoiding it.

He shook his head as he sat up in his room, having finished packing and just being left with his own thoughts. No, those stupid thoughts would do him no good.

There was a knock on his door that caught his attention.

"Can I come in?" came Debbie's voice.

"Sure."

The door opened and Debbie walked in. Dan couldn't help but notice how she closed the door behind her, almost slamming it in haste. He pointed his head up at her, frowning slightly, confused. For a moment neither of them said anything.

"There's something I've been meaning to ask you... And since you're leaving tomorrow I don't think I'll get another chance if I don't say it now," Debbie forced out finally.

She sounded small, almost scared. Dan sat up more alert as he worried what this was about. Had something happened?

"What is it?" he urged in an equally small tone.

Debbie sat down beside him, silent. She looked at him, unsure of how to form the question. It was an awkward one.

"How... How's your relationship with Arin at the moment?"

It was an open ended question. Vague. She wanted to hear it from his mouth, not back him into a corner where he'd be pressured to tell her. But maybe it wasn't even true? Maybe she was imagining it? She watched him intently and felt her heart sink when she saw him flinch at the question. More specifically, the word "relationship".

"W-What do you mean?" Dan asked, heart beginning to race.

She and Avi had asked him about Arin when he first arrived, the usual "how's your friend doing?" He'd told them then that he was fine, and even spoken more about how much of a help he'd been with his blindness. Suddenly his thoughts jumped to all sorts of conclusions: had he accidentally given something away, in his tone perhaps? He took a deep breathe.

She hasn't actually said anything about you dating. Calm down.

"You're still... friends?" She kept catching herself before she spoke, like there was something she wanted to say but couldn't.

"Yeah, why wouldn't we be?" he replied slowly, "What's this about, Debbie?"

Debbie fell silent for a while.

"Since you were telling me how you've been getting on at work, I thought I'd look at a few episodes, just to see how it was. And..."

Her voice trailed off for a moment, "A-Are you gay?"

Dan froze, his breath catching in his throat as words deserted him. He'd been worried about this; Game Grumps was public so anyone, even his parents, could tune in an watch it. And since he and Arin had started being more open about their relationship on the show it was only a matter of time before they figured it out, especially since the comments were also flooded with people talking about it.  He was at least glad that it was Debbie who was confronting him about it, but for all he knew Avi was aware too. What would he think about it? He couldn't lie to them.

"I- We, uh... yes, I am," he stuttered when he finally found his voice again.

"Okay."

"You're... okay with it?" Dan asked her, still a little unsure.

Debbie let out a sigh, and Dan was relieved to hear a bit of a chuckle in there as well. She didn't seem to be mad, at least...

"I'll admit, it was a shock to hear you talk so... sweetly to Arin, and to see all those comments, but... You know I support you, no matter what," she explained with a loving smile.

Dan smiled too, wiping his eyes that had started to collect moisture in his worry. He hugged his mother, glad that she was willing to accept it. There was, however, one concern that still lingered in his mind.

"Does Avi know?"

Debbie let out another sigh, though this time there was no mirth in the sound.

"No, he doesn't. I thought you better tell him yourself, before you leave tomorrow," she informed him gently.

Dan nodded thoughtfully. He knew that she was right, but he also knew Avi and how traditional he was with these kinds of things. It had taken him a while to get to grips with Dan wanting to be a musician, he wasn't sure how he would take him also being gay. Debbie had always been the more accepting one of the two, supporting and loving him no matter his decisions - as long as he was happy. Of course, Avi would never stop loving him over something like this, but he didn't want to disappoint him all the same. He took a deep breath and stood up.

"No time like the present, I guess," he decided bravely.

And with that he strode from the room, making his way downstairs as he prepared to tell his dad that he was dating another man.

A/N: sorry for not updating for a while, had lots of school stuff and kind of a lack of motivation to write, but I'm back!!! :D