42: The Final Mission Part 2

Everyone held their breath as Sensor and Coal turned down a hallway to our right. They were gone for only five minutes before the power went out. The door to Sector D slid open and Sensor and Coal dashed back. 

"We have about twenty minutes before they figure out what is happening." Coal whispered quickly as we all ran through the doors. Sensor was holding some type of tablet in front of him. "I hope you can see in the dark. The security can, they'll be on the move." His voice had dropped significantly, barely more than a whisper.

We all moved as silently as we could through the sector. It looked much different from the previous sectors. Everything was glowing in deep blue under lights, giving off an eerie glow. I could barely see in front of myself and just followed Sensor's glowing colored scar things on his body.

My heart threatened to alert the security of our destination, I was on the verge of panic. I could feel Storm freaking out too. I was tempted to smack my chest to make her stop moving around, but I knew that would just make noise and make me hurt myself. I frowned.

Marcus was moving forward slowly, then he stopped, scrambling backwards, hitting us. We took off in the opposite direction as a bunch of security ran by. Along the wall, a large panel of metal was slightly turned outwards, we could crawl behind the wall. I clambered quietly in and everyone piled in with me. We held our breath in sync as a flashlight shined our way, barely missing us.

When the footsteps died away and silence took over, we set off once again. K9 was making a lot of racket from his metal paws hitting the metal-plated ground. I grimaced at every step he took seemed to resonate through the entire hub.

"We are almost there." Sensor's voice said as we ran down the hallway. "Once we reach this, take a left and I'll crack open the door and-" His voice was cut off from running footsteps further down the hallway. 

There were no other doors to get into, we were forced to run back to our hiding spot. Trapped as the security ran past, just like before. 

Marcus moved out once the silence hit again. "We have about ten minutes left guys." He whispered. "We are going to need to cause a distraction, and a big one." 

Sensor stood up. "I can do that. You guys go on. I have the perfect idea. Go."

Everyone stared at Sensor for a few seconds, before turning to run in the opposite direction. As soon as we entered the hallway, we heard an explosion from behind us. Then another, and another. Each getting progressively farther away.

"That kid..." K9 said knowingly as we ran. "I knew he was up to something when he said he'd take the back. He set up explosives and knew that something like this was going to happen sooner or later. He's smart, gotta give it to him."

There it was. Just in front of us. The very door Coal had slipped into just months before. The door that will change our lives forever. He hacked into the door with ease, forcing it open and pushing us through before closing the door behind us and locking it. 

"What about Sensor!?" I said loudly, before covering my mouth. But no one was whispering anymore. 

"I'll open the door when he comes back." When I gave Coal a doubtful look he shook his head. "That little guy is too smart for those security guards. He'll be back."

"I hope you're right. We've got less than seven minutes remaining." I said. 

"Over here!" Came Marcus' voice. "This is it!"

Coal and I rushed over quickly and stopped short beside Marcus and K9. There it was, a small star about the size of my fist. It was glowing a warm yellow, and on the inside it was glowing a burning hot red color. My heart skipped a beat when I noticed something very peculiar about the star...

I've seen it before.

But where?

My thoughts were interrupted when Marcus wrestled the container the star was being held in. Within a few moments he shattered the glass and the star rolled out of the container and onto the ground. Everyone jumped out of the way as it rolled and K9 yelled. "Someone catch it!"

"How?" Marcus said as it bumped up against the wall, where it stopped. 

Coal pulled his laser pistol out and shot it at the star, he fell backwards as the laser bullet bounced off and struck the ceiling, leaving a hot, burning dent. "Well, that's not going to work." He said weakly, standing up.

Slightly panicking, I grabbed a large metal bar and swung down on the star as hard as I could, I felt it crack slightly. I swung at it again but it merely bounced off as if some type of force field had popped up in the way. Stupidly, I grabbed something else and swung at it. I was no longer in control...

I could feel myself slipping away... Yes... my soul could feel the gate in the star... the gateway home... 

Storm was taking over now, her green eyes shined proudly as she struck the star with the new object. It hit it and that's when K9 must've calculated something.

"It only takes living things! Making them disappear!" K9 leaped forward, seizing the star. Storm reached out, grabbing the star while K9 crushed it in his hands. My soul leaped out of Storm's body. As the star was crushed, I felt myself stuck in the middle.

I felt like if I leaned to one side, I would topple over, out of my chair. Whereas if I leaned to the other side, I would become something new, painful, but new. I tried to open my eyes, but I had none. I could feel a comforting hand on my shoulder... I recognized it. 

Storm...

"Now is the time Hava... it's time for you to make your choice..." She said as two faint lights glowed in front of me. "It is time for you to choose which world you want to remain in before the gate is severed and the universe is saved."

I wanted to speak and ask about my universe, but I couldn't. I could only choose which light I wanted. Reality's light...

Or Fantasy's light...

One choice... could change it all forever...

The End