Chapter One: Something Strange

Was it not enough? Saving Earth, rekindling the flame of resistance for the coalition, defeating any enemy that opposed the spread of peace throughout the universe... they had done it all. And yet, there were some days she wished she could have stayed in her cryo-pod, sleeping through the hardship that always seemed to find them. Every victory brought two more battles to be fought. They were weary of war. She was, her team was...the universe was. And yet, there seemed to be so much left to do. This new Altean was added to the list. Allura stood behind a tall sheet of one-sided glass, watching the Altean rest from inside her monitored room. It had been a month since this stranger was revealed to be the pilot of the alien craft that nearly terminated Voltron. Still, not a so much as a movement from her...

    "Allura, you should rest." Shiro's calm-tempered voice called out to her and she lifted her sapphire eyes to watch him stand at her right side. He settled next to her, storming grey eyes held her with a soft understanding. "I'm sure you're concerned about this Altean, but when she wakes up, you'll be the first to know."

    Sighing softly, she brought her arms together and folded her hands in front of her. "Thank you, Shiro, but..." Her eyes fell down to her folded hands, "I feel a responsibility to be here when she wakes. I want to be the first person she meets." Pulling her gaze up to analyze for perhaps the hundredth time, though it provided nothing but more questions, she couldn't seem to break away.

    Nonetheless, a small smile allowed itself across the captain's lips. "I understand. It's very admirable of you, princess, but we don't know how long it will be before we get some activity from her." He gently insisted, his warm hand on her shoulder. "It's been months since the attack and another since we found her. When she does wake up, you should be rested too."

    Something seemed to crawl up her throat and it was all she could do to keep it hidden. "I know you mean well, but I'm afraid I've rested for far too long. I wasn't there for them 10,000 years ago," She lifted her chin and let out a breath, " Nothing will keep me away from her now." Shiro's smile was long faded and she was somewhat relieved he had nothing to add to that, his hand falling back to his side. For a moment, there was an extended silence between them and she found herself losing herself to questions again. Where did she come from? The same colony Romelle was from? But if she was, how did she get here in the condition she was in? Lotor was lost to the Quintessence Field, there was no one to send her. Slowly, she gathered the courage to speak the most predominant thought on her mind. "You...You don't think she meant to attack us, do you? Something had to have forced her into the beast." She inquired hopefully, tearing her eyes away to face the conversation and locking onto him to try to read his thoughts.

   He took a small second to consider his words with an even face she, unfortunately, couldn't see through.  "We can't know for certain until we can debrief her, but..." Shiro turned to meet her eyes, a soft and yet subtle hope to them, "If she's anything like the three Alteans we all know and love...I'm sure she would want to help."

    For the first time in a month, her hope swelled in her chest and she felt her eyes shimmer. She offered him a soft, grateful smile. "...Thank you, Shiro..." Brushing her fingers under her eyes, she composed herself and looked back to the Altean with a new light in her heart. "Truly..."

    With a small smile and nod of his head. "Of course, Allura. Right now, we all need to--" He was interrupted by the faint blue glowing on his prosthetic arm, lighting up the white plate of his forearm.

    "Sir." Veronica's voice came from it, "The paladins have returned to the hangar."

    "Thank you, Veronica." Replied Shiro and the blue light faded. The captain looked to her again and threw through a thumbs-up over his shoulder. "You want to come along? I was going to train with the paladins, help them connect to their lions as much as they can before we start heading out on missions again. It would do you some good to get out of this room for a while." He urged her, giving her a smile to persuade her.