Defiance

First up: Arthur Kingsley. If you remember, he had whip scars across his back, something that was alluded to in the first volume of the trilogy. He also mentioned that they were inflicted by Benedict Huntley. In this short part, you'll hear it, in his own words. At the top: Douglas Booth as Arthur. 

Winter 1885

Arthur

Father always told me to stand up for what I believed in. Especially as an Elemental with a long proud history, stretching back nearly four generations. He told me of it sometimes when I was a boy, how our ancestors were one of the first to found an Elemental dynasty. And his hope that I carry it on one day is a heavy weight on my shoulders.

     But that was all in the future. As for today, I was home from boarding school for a few more days. I was trying to read a book recommended to me by one of my instructors, but I was unable to concentrate. Possibly it was because I couldn't relate to the poverty of the main characters. Besides, the snow was too mesmerising, settling on the roofs of houses, on the tops of carriages, and on the horses' backs.

     'Arthur,' Mother called from the adjoining study, rousing me. 'Would you come in here, please? Just for a moment?'

     I found both my parents behind the desk, Father sitting in his large leather chair, and Mother next to him, her hand on his shoulder. They looked the picture of decorum except that both their eyes were a dark iron-grey, something that happened whenever they were worried.

     'What's the matter?' I asked. I glanced between them, but their expressions betrayed nothing.

     'We just received an unsettling telegram from Harry Wellington,' Father said, leaning forward and handing me a thin slip of paper.

     Benedict Huntley on the move again STOP, it read. Suspected he may visit the Order soon STOP Wants to try a negotiation regarding the Natural situation but not positive STOP Also terrible news about Juliana STOP Please reply as soon as you can STOP Sincerely Harry Wellington.

     I stopped reading and looked up at them. 'Benedict Huntley?'

     'William!' Mother hissed, and then came around the desk and plucking the telegram out of my hand. 'He's just a boy! Whatever happened to "break the news gently"?'

     'Tell him anyway, Cece. About Juliana.' Father sounded irritated.

     'What about her, Mother?' I asked when my mother turned back to me, her grey eyes restless.

     I'd met Juliana Haywood only once. She was beautiful the way my mother was beautiful, a woman of quiet strength and grace. I still remembered the brilliant green of her eyes and the bright red of her hair, and a set to her jaw that said she was determined to have her own way. 

     Mother shook her head, reluctantly answering. 'The Naturals raided their home two nights ago and they had to flee. Juliana was beaten very badly trying to escape.'

     'How bad?'

     'Quite badly. She was unconscious when she was brought in.' Mother's face was serious.

     'Are you going to go see her?' I knew they were good friends, and had even watched her daughter, Emma, when our parents were at Order meetings. I'd only seen Emma once after that, a lanky fourteen-year-old at the time but set up to be as breathtaking as Juliana.

     'It seems as good a time as any, Cece.' Father's chair squeaked, and soon he was standing behind my mother, his arm sliding around her waist. 'Why don't you go. I'll tell Harry.'