Playing the Victim: Chapter 44

*Connor's P.O.V July 14th Thursday 2018 5:35 A.M*

"Woods!" Matt yelled, running towards Woods. I ran after him, almost sprinting, but then stopped. Wait a minute. Something wasn't right with this. If Woods was here, what had happened to Tanner, Gunner, and Sam? Everyone else ran towards Woods happily. It seemed like I was the only person who was suspicious about anything. My eyes slimmed, looking at Woods as he was getting hugged. Something was...different about Woods. His eyes weren't dead like the rest of us. In fact, he seemed more alive than ever. If something happened with Tanner, Gunner, or Sam, Woods definitely wouldn't be acting like this.

But then the other part of my mind that wasn't a pessimist insisted on talking too. It was Woods! He was alive! That they'd ever see him again was amazing! And he didn't look too badly hurt either, except for his swollen hands and feet from when he got beaten up by El Diablo or whatever his name was. He looked terrified, and my heart sunk. Despite my pessimism and suspicions, I felt bad for Woods. I then realized everyone was looking at me, and Woods smiled, though I could tell it was half-hearted. He motioned with his hands to come over, and something in my gut told me not to, but I walked towards him, almost jogging but willing my heart to stay calm. 

If he was evil, which something in my heart told me he was, I wouldn't want to seem too desperate. Too hopeful.

When I got to him, I saw where he was sitting. 

  He was leaning on a leg of a bench that looked super duper old. It had mold and algae on it, and the wood looked ancient, like it was used a hundred years ago. It was almost broken, like people had been sitting on it and getting up for thirty years. His lips quivered, looking down sadly. He heard my footsteps and tried standing up, only to fall back down. He whimpered, trying to get away. My eyebrows slimmed in confusion. Why was he scared?

"Woods! Hey, hey! It's okay! You're all right. W-What happened?" I paused, then put my finger up to silence him. "Before you answer that, where's Tanner, Sam and Gunner? What happened to them? I think we're all wondering that." I looked around and everyone nodded their assent, looking back at Woods.

Woods face fell into a sad wave. When we first saw him, he looked relieved, but now he looked heartbroken. Tears welled up in his eyes. "T-T-Tanner," Woods stuttered, tears streaming down his face. "T-Tanner, h-he h-held a g-gun up t-to my head. H-He k-killed Sam and Gunner. I'm sorry, Matt. I'm so sorry." He said, sobbing. 

Tanner? Killing Sam and Gunner? No way. That wasn't like Tanner. I had known him for two years. He would never do that. Even if someone pointed a gun at him and forced him too. He would rather die than live with that guilt. My eyes slimmed in confusion, but I decided to act like I believed Woods.

I walked towards Woods and held my hand out. He grabbed it and I noticed that his hands were rough, calloused and freezing cold. It was 77 degrees, yet his hands felt like ice. I pulled him into a hug, my arms wrapping around his shoulders. Woods seemed super uncomfortable being hugged and didn't put his arms around me. I put that thought away for later. For safekeeping. 

"It's okay. Tanner's not here. You're all right. Come here, Woods," Matt said, pulling him into a hug.

 Matt hugged Woods tightly and I looked at Woods, and in my field of vision, I saw Woods smiling. He quickly changed his demeanor when he saw I saw and started crying again. I smirked a little, but then kept a straight face. My suspicions were being confirmed.

"Listen Woods, if you want to leave Hi5 now, I get it. People know where it is. We're not safe." Matt sighed. "We need to move. I get it. But you can leave. I'll understand. We've all been through some crap, and I understand if you need to leave." Matt said, still hugging Woods.

Woods stopped hugging Matt, and laughed. "Leave Hi5 Studios? Yeah, not a chance, Matt. I've been here too long to just stop what I'm doing." Woods then pointed to the other members of Hi5, and started walking over where they were.

Matt yelled, "Hey guys!"

Kevin, Bryan, Joey, Patrick, and Paul all hugged Woods tightly, but I just stood there, staring at Woods. 

"Woods," I said, my voice monotone. No, not monotone, more angry. Woods turned around and started for a hug, but I backed up, pointing a finger at Woods. "Where's Tanner? Listen, I don't care what he did. Where is he?"I said, my voice shaking with anger. 

Woods looked at me with confusion and fear. "W-What do you mean? He killed Sam and Gunner!"

"Where is he? I know you're lying Woods. Tanner would never kill Sam or Gunner, and you're saying he killed both of them? And then you say that you're the good guy in all this? I don't believe that for a second. That's why I faked my death, so you wouldn't accuse me anymore of being the bad guy! When you saw me smiling, it wasn't because I was happy to get kidnapped, or to see my friends getting kidnapped! It was because I finally realized who was behind it all. You were, Woods. Give it up, Woods."

Everyone stared at Woods in bewilderment. 

A wide smile spread over his face. "Well, you're not wrong," He said, holding up a gun. His dark brown hair was floppy, his face wet with sweat and tears. Now, I would advise you all to RUN!" 

As soon as he said run, he shot the black pistol into the air, and all of Hi5 Studios and everyone on the beach ran. Woods laughed manically.

 "Chaos!!" He said, chuckling as he shot the gun in the air. He pointed the gun at a random Spanish guy. His arms raised and his breathing quickened.

"Por favor senor, no me lastimes!" 

*"Please sir, don't hurt me!"*

Woods shot him and the man fell to the ground, the sand soaking up the crimson blood. Woods slowly walked over to the man and put on his shirt, as well as his pants and his blue baseball hat, and then walked off like nothing happened. The Spanish man was left in his underwear.

Meanwhile, Matt and I decided to stay behind a little. "I have an idea, Matt."

"Yeah, what?" Matt asked, out of breath.

"We're going to steal a boat."