Ch. 7

"So the press conference is in a week, but Pepper's gonna fix it,"  Peter said, biting into his granola bar as he, Michelle, and Ned walked off the bus.  He'd just finished telling Ned about Tony's plan to announce him as the heir of Stark Industries.  He'd also told them both about the incident with the publicists.

"Wow,"  Ned said for the fifth time, still staring straight ahead.  He hadn't been able to say anything else right after Peter first broke the news to him.  It had taken the entire bus ride plus the ten minutes between the end of class and when the bus actually left the parking lot.  Once Ned had regained his conscious, he started asking Peter a million questions, making him have to wait to tell his friends about the incident with the Stark Industries publicists.  Eventually, though, he told them and now they were headed up to Peter and May's apartment.

"All I got from this is next week is going to be insane,"  Michelle said, following the boys through the lobby door.  Peter shrugged.

"Pepper's gonna change it back,"  he told her.  Michelle looked skeptical which sent Peter into a small panic.  Michelle was practically in love with Pepper, so for her to doubt Pepper's abilities in something was a giant red flag.

"Do you know how messy that's going to be?"  Michelle asked.  Peter shrugged again, forcing the panic down.  Even if Pepper couldn't do it, Tony would make it happen.  He would be completely fine.

"I'm trying not to worry about it,"  Peter told her.  She nodded and walked into the elevator after him.  The three rode it up to the third floor and walked down the hall to Peter's apartment.  Peter had managed to completely forget his worry by the time he walked through the door of his apartment, but he was met with Aunt May talking into the phone, waving a dish rag wildly through the air to dispel the smoke rising from the oven top.

"I understand, but I can't make it into work next Wednesday,"  May said.  The person on the other end of the phone said something that caused May to roll her eyes irritably before smiling at the three teens.  "I've told you before, it might not be rescheduled, so I need the day off!"

"Hi, May,"  Peter whispered.  He pointed to his room and she nodded.  He led his friends back to his room where they all dropped their backpacks by his desk.  Peter shut his door behind them and joined Ned on his bed.  Michelle claimed his desk chair, looking around his room blankly.

"You need some new decorations,"  she told him.  Peter rolled her eyes.  She said that almost every time she came over.  At this point, he expected it.

"Yeah?  I was gonna bring my C3PO from my lab at the Compound here,"  Peter told her.  He motioned to an empty corner.  "He could go right there."

"Wait, you made a working C3PO?"  Michelle asked, finding it hard to mask her shock.  Peter nodded proudly and her eyes widened.  Smirking, she looked at the empty space, imagine the robot standing there, then back at Peter.  "Congratulations, nerd of the year,"  she teased.

"Hey!  You're just jealous,"  Peter exclaimed.  Michelle shrugged.  "Just you wait until I finish my R2D2.  Except, he might stay at the lab.  He and Dum-E are friends."  Michelle raised and eyebrow and he fought back the blush that threatened to take over his face.  "Shut up,"  he mumbled.

"I didn't say anything,"  she laughed.  Peter glared at her, but there was no heat behind it.

"You were thinking things,"  he told her.  She rolled her eyes and leaned down to open her backpack, pulling out vocabulary cards for Spanish and tossing them at Peter.  They effectively hit him in the forehead and he blinked, looking down at the index cards tied together with a hair tie.

"We're here to study, geek,"  she reminded him.  He untied the cards and looked down at them.

"Fine,"  he said, turning to Ned to ask the first question.  "What does 'Michelle es irritante' mean?"

"Um,"  Ned hesitated, glancing at Michelle who was scowling at Peter.  Peter was grinning back, waiting for Ned's response.  "I think I'm gonna help May with the food while you two study."  Before either one could object, he was racing out of the room and into the kitchen.