Ch. 11

"I think maybe we should just cancel the conference,"  Peter said, fiddling the the hem of his sleeve.  He and Natasha were sitting in the green room behind the stage, waiting for the conference to begin and to hear Peter's cue.  Tony and Pepper were already behind the stage, getting ready to begin and finishing up last minute details.

"You'll be okay,"  Natasha said, grabbing his hand and stopping his fiddling.  "There's no way you can screw everything up, no matter what you say.  You're not that powerful."

"But what if I do?"  Peter asked, looking at her desperately.  Natasha sighed.

"If you do, then you're more powerful than Thor,"  she told him.  Peter paused to think up a response, but before he could, he was being beckoned out of the room.  He gave Natasha a pleading look but she just shooed him off, promising him he would be okay.

"Wait here,"  the man told Peter before disappearing.  Peter stood nervously behind the stage, listening as Mr. Stark opened up to press conference by thanking everyone for coming.

"I know this has been a long time in waiting and the only reason we're doing it is because my board members are on my ass about it,"  he said.  A few people chuckled but Peter saw Pepper shoot Mr. Stark a warning look.  He smiled slightly at the sight and Mr. Stark cleared his throat.  "Here's the deal: I'm announcing the heir to Stark Industries and only ten questions will be allowed.  No one is to talk to him outside of press conferences, without prior approval, and no one is to stalk him and figure out everything about his life."

The room was silent as Mr. Stark looked around to make sure everyone understood.  Peter's heart hammered in his chest and he could hear the blood rushing through his head.  He didn't even hear Mr. Stark introduce him.  He was only aware it had happened when a stage hand pushed him out, causing him to trip only slightly.  His face heated up and he hurried over to Mr. Stark's side.  Mr. Stark smiled warmly at him and stepped back from the microphone for Peter to introduce himself.

"Um, hi,"  he began lamely.  The reporters wrote it down and he swallowed.  "I'm, um, I'm Peter like Mr. Stark said, I am, uh, going to be taking over Stark Industries in, um, well, a few years I guess.  After I graduate, that is, so, uh, yeah."  He looked at Mr. Stark for support and was rewarded with a thumbs up from Pepper and a smile from Mr. Stark.  The calm didn't last long and soon reporters were calling for his attention.  In a panic, he pointed at one of them for a question.

"Peter, how did you come to inherit Stark Industries?  What's the story behind this sudden announcement?"  the man asked.  Before Peter could stutter out a response, Mr. Stark stepped forward.

"That's two questions,"  he told them.  He didn't step away from Peter, though.  Instead, he stood right beside him, waiting for him to talk and ready to intervene if necessary.  However, Peter looked terrified and lost, so Mr. Stark answered the question, making up a story about how Peter had become an intern and quickly caught his attention.  After a couple years, it was obvious Peter was the best choice and with the board bothering him about announcing an heir, Mr. Stark had chosen Peter.

"Stark Industries only accepts college graduates as interns,"  a reporter pointed out, not bothering to raise her hand.  "How come Peter got an internship and he's barely in high school?"

"I'm in high school!"  Peter told her indignantly.  "I'm graduating next week!"  That created a whole new set of questions and the original one was forgotten.

"Exactly how old are you, Peter?"  a woman asked.  Peter looked to Mr. Stark who gave a nod, indicating Peter could tell them.

"I'm 18,"  he answered.  The same woman asked what his plans for college were before anyone else could ask something different and Peter hesitated.  "Um, probably MIT.  I've always thought I'd go there."

"Peter, you're the same kid spotted with Mr. Stark a while ago at a gala, correct?"  a man asked, raising his hand as he spoke.  Peter nodded.  "Are you Tony Stark's son, then?  You've only recently showed up around him, but after bringing you to a gala and announcing you as his heir, it seems like that's what you are."

"I, uh,"  Peter looked at Mr. Stark for help and he stepped forward.

"Peter is not my son, just my intern,"  he clarified.  "And you only have four more questions."

"Peter, what do you enjoy in your free time?"  a woman asked.  Peter hadn't been expecting that question, but he didn't even have to hesitate.

"I like working in the lab,"  he said.  "Sometimes I spend the weekend with Mr. Stark and we go Upstate and work in the labs all day."

"What is your favourite subject in school?"  another reporter asked.  Peter was about to say robotics, but remembered he had quit that and paused.

"I like physics,"  he replied.  He answered another question about whether or not he did advanced classes and the last one was about what he wanted to major in at college.  "Probably computer science with a minor in business."  Before someone could try and sneak another question in, Mr. Stark was stepping in front of Peter.

"So that's that,"  he said.  He looked out at all the cameras and gave his paparazzi smile.  "Thanks for coming."  He waved then turned and wrapped his arm around Peter, walking with him off stage.  "Was that as bad as you expected?"  he asked.

"No,"  Peter said honestly.  "But it was still terrifying."